SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am starting up this webmaster directory site which will have over 5000 resources/links. I heard that Links 2.0 can only handle like up to 1,500 links, then it'll get slow? Or should I just hand code each page? Please post here, I don't know what to do!!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do not know about Links 2.0, but a data source like your talking about would perform much better in an SQL dbase. It will prevent alot of headaches latter and you would never need to worry about the amount of records. Not much help, I know. Just an idea.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    this is off the subject...but, Matt, why are you a junior member?

just wondering

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Links 2.0 should be able to handle a database up to 3 megs or so. At the rate my links database is going, that's about 8,000 links. the gossamer-threads site says 10,000. I would say that 1,500 and 5000 should be OK with links.

------------------
    Activist News Network - Plebius Press - Nonprofit Directory

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I decided that I don't want to use Links 2.0, it gets very, very slow at about 2000+ links! I am thinking of using a PHP script, but I have to idea HOW or WHERE to find a script like that that is coded in PHP. Does anybody know if Jumpline.Com supports PHP? I will check soon! hehe. um....if anybody can make me a script in PHP that will work with mySQL, please do and I could pay you by advertising or.......something. If you have any questions, feel free to post here or E-Mail me at matt@wndesigners.com. Thank you!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dear Friend,
    I have written an ASP script which will "generate" physical HTML pages from database. It can also generate categories, sub-categories, etc. Please contact me if you want that ASP script. Its free, but it's my private script.

By the way, why don't you take a look at my site. You can see what I exactly mean.

------------------
    http://www.braveweb.com

[This message has been edited by umair (edited March 01, 2000).]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Links2.0 generates static pages (especially useful if you cron it to run at midnight every night). It's Links competitors that don't (I'm thinking of Super something.)

Owen