SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Repeating Keywords in title tag - Good or bad?

I was just wondering if you repeat a few words in the title tag is this better for seo purposes or not?

I always thought it was best not to, but then i went to gamespot.com and on their wii page they have something like: 'Nintendo Wii News - Nintendo Wii Pics - Nintendo Wii Specs - etc' and i doubt someone as big as Gamespot.com would not know the best methods of how and what to put in your title tags.

Anyway, can someone enlighten me on the best ways to have a title tag and if repeating keywords is better or worse?

Thanks.
    Web Design London - Web design, SEO and web hosting!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by x-termin8or
    and i doubt someone as big as Gamespot.com would not know the best methods of how and what to put in your title tags.
    Not so quick.. Just because they're a successful company does not mean they're experts on SEO

On the other hand, a quick search in google for these keyword phrases gave this result in the SERP for the page http://www.gamespot.com/wii/index.html

1. Nintendo Wii News - 10th place
    2. Nintendo Wii Specs - 6th place
    3. Nintendo Wii Pics - 2nd place

I have a hard time believing repeating a keyword would help, but I wonder if one can conclude that repeating is not going to hurt either?

I am obstructing justice. bronze trophy fatnewt's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Titles are generally figured out by keyword density.

So "keyword keyword" isn't any better than "keyword".

BUT "keyword otherword keyword" is probably a little better than "keyword otherword"

... I wouldn't sacrifice readability of the title for that. It's not going to make a serious difference.
    Colin Temple [twitter: @cailean]
    Web Analyst at Napkyn

Former Galactic Overlord gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy HAWK's Avatar
    Mentioned
    987 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fatnewt
    ... I wouldn't sacrifice readability of the title for that. It's not going to make a serious difference.
    Yup - consider the primary purpose of your title before you go keyword stuffing.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Repeating keywords in your Title is not bad just make sure that you try and keep the Title readable and on topic, and I wouldn't recommend repeating the keyword more than 3 times including alternates like plurals and past tense

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the keywords are different, I mean they refer to different notions, I think it's ok. Because Nintendo Wii News and Nintendo Wii Pics are different things, so even in the terms of business this has a reason.
    !BEST BARGAIN! - 100% Free Link Exchange Script
    Isn't it better @ zero cost to use the tool
    which is better than $90+ solutions?

Former Galactic Overlord gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy HAWK's Avatar
    Mentioned
    987 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    It's fine as long as it makes sense. It should read properly...

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy Kailash Badu's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From my own experience, repeating keywords in the title do help. But do not repeat them to the point that search engines get annoyed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kailash Badu
    But do not repeat them to the point that search engines get annoyed.
    What point is that?

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can repeat the keywords in the Title tag, but don't stuff it, and make sure you can read it nice (it has more words than just the kW)
    Distinct SEO | Calgary SEO Marketing & Social Media Consulting

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy Kailash Badu's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What point is that?
    No one really knows, perhaps? You use your intuition. If it doesnít annoy you when you see a keyword repeated across the title, it probably doesnít vex search engines either. Some SEO tools and website keyword density in title to as much as 33%. So if there are three words in the title repeat it once, if there are six words you might as well repeat it twice. But I donít think there is hard-and-fast rule as this.

In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kailash Badu
    From my own experience, repeating keywords in the title do help. But do not repeat them to the point that search engines get annoyed.
    Or site visitors.

I avoid Web design companies that have "[...Company Name Here], a [City Name Here] Web Design Company" (not to mention similar drek) all over their company site's pages (and in many cases their client sites as well).

Seriously. Take a look at a hypothetical home page with a section of the page dedicated to the company's news:
    XYZ Web Design Shop, a Nowhereville Web Design Company, has just blah blah blah...

XYZ Web Design Shop, a Nowhereville Web Design Company, recently unveiled its...

XYZ Web Design Shop, a Nowhereville Web Design Company, was awarded a $20,000 contract to...

XYZ Web Design Shop, a Nowhereville Web Design Company, is proud to announce...

XYZ Web Design Shop, a Nowhereville Web Design Company, will be hosting a seminar on...

XYZ Web Design Shop, a Nowhereville Web Design Company, is pleased to announce that...

XYZ Web Design Shop, a Nowhereville Web Design Company, wishes you a happy...

XYZ Web Design Shop, a Nowhereville Web Design Company, wants your business to succeed. We can make it happen!

XYZ Web Design Shop, a Nowhereville Web Design Company, was featured in...

XYZ Web Design Shop, a Nowhereville Web Design Company, (and so on and so on and so on)
    See the point? How far did you read before you got sick and tired of reading the same drivel over and over again?

In the land of the Web, CONTENT is king. What is content? Is it whatever you want it to be? Nope. It's meaningful text that creates value, rather than regurgitating the same rotten slop over and over again.

Now, what I want to know is, why don't more "professional" Web design/development shops get the picture and finally abandon keyword stuffing and start focusing on making everyone's lives easier?

And that's just the actual page content. The section and page titles tend to be even worse.

(Sorry for the rant.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think it's useful. A very short sentence beginig with your keyword might be more effective. Moreover, title tag is often use to describe your page in SERPs. IMHO, an unreadable title would affect badly your traffic.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As far as I can tell, MSN likes keyword repeats in title tag. Others don't seem to notice. Can I get someone to verify that thought?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what really SEO experts says about repeating keywords ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess that most people in this topic are saying a readable title is better overall, and repeating keywords wont cause a problem as long as you can read the title fine, easily and makes sense.

Is that right?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does any one know if anyone has done any testing on this? I'd love to follow my own 'intuition', but I think we can raise the bar a bit further.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MagicYoyo

My english is not good enough to understand your 'bcbcb' or 'bccbgv'...
    Somebody is testing a SPAM bot to flood SP.

Btw titles, I don't try to have in keywords just for the heck of it. Only if the page is related and it is actually useful.

Page titles generally depend on the nature of site anyway, and it has to be a site wide policy on the titles.
    Online Startups Insight for new entrepreneurs

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It depends on your sites niche as well for instance one of my sites my average competing website had a keyword density in the title of only 25% and only used the keyword once....so I followed that.

Then I have another site where the keyword that I am targeting has an average density of 60 - 100% in the titles of competing sites so I made my title 3 words long and has a keyword density of 82% for my main keyword but within those 3 words I actually have a 5 keywords in the title.....myspace layouts, punk myspace layouts, layouts, myspace, and punk layouts.....I usually just try and stay within the same range as my competition although I have been known to raise keyword density or frequency up .5 or 1% higher now and then above the norm.

Web Genius
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good tips to know. And it's better to usually try to get a high ranking keyword than a few lesser ones.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think this points out a few problems with most SEO:

1. Nobody really knows what the search engines are thinking. Even if you figure it out, they're going to change the rules eventually.

2. Each search engine does things differently

3. To truly test something with scientific validity is impossible. You would have to launch a control web site and a test site simultaneously and make sure that they receive simultanous links from the same sites on pages with teh same pange ranks etc., and that the crawlers hit them at the same time. It's just not possible.

Everything is an educated guess. You want people to find you, but you also want people to be able to use your site. It's probably safe to try this, but anything that smacks of trickery or a hack might get you banned.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its pretty bad... dont it looks bad...

And as far as SEO is concerned... You can use "Nintendo Wii Pics | Specs" like that...

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    True most SEO is trial and error but I always figure that the top ranked sites must be doing something that the search engines like so it makes sense to follow in their path as long as its not SPAM. Then after you have done that just try and improve on it a little at a time

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Based on info I've read at www.searchenginenews.com ,

- Put your most specific, strongest keyword statement first
    - Use a similar, but unique, keyword statement in there too
    - Be *Natural*

Example,

BAD
    <title>SitePoint Forums - Repeating Keywords in title tag - Good or bad?</title>

Good
    <title>Repeating Keywords in title tag - Search Engine Optimization (SEO) - SitePoint Forums</title>
    Last edited by alkatraz; Jul 13, 2006 at 13:02.
    -Colin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by minnseoelite
    It depends on your sites niche as well for instance one of my sites my average competing website had a keyword density in the title of only 25% and only used the keyword once....so I followed that.

Then I have another site where the keyword that I am targeting has an average density of 60 - 100% in the titles of competing sites so I made my title 3 words long and has a keyword density of 82% for my main keyword but within those 3 words I actually have a 5 keywords in the title.....myspace layouts, punk myspace layouts, layouts, myspace, and punk layouts.....I usually just try and stay within the same range as my competition although I have been known to raise keyword density or frequency up .5 or 1% higher now and then above the norm.
    How do you check for the keywords density?