User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

link_to_remote questions

Hello,

I tried link_to_remote to see the build-in AJAX capabilities with rails for the first time for me, I tried the following code and it worked:

<%= link_to_remote( "some link",
    :update => "some_div",
    :url =>{ :action => :someaction }) %>

OK, it has worked, but I have two questions here:

1- When moving between links the URL in the browser still the same (which is the name of the controller), I expected that the name of the action must appear as it used to: www.domainname.com/controller/action

2- How can I create some (Loading) div that appears while div is being updated (something similar to Gmail - the red div with Loading word at the top right of the page)

Thanks

SitePoint Guru silver trophy Luke Redpath's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1. Your URL won't change because the browser is not moving to a new location, the HTTP request is happening in the background.

2. There are several ways of doing this. You can specify onLoading and onComplete callbacks on your AJAX links/forms but by far the easiest way is to have some kind of global loading bar. Check out this article:

http://ajaxian.com/archives/ajax-act...ators-examples

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Luke Redpath
    1. Your URL won't change because the browser is not moving to a new location, the HTTP request is happening in the background.
    Thanks Luke,
    Right the HTTP request is happening in the background, I think it's not a good idea to use link_to_remote for main website navigation, it's only good for updating some small div in the page not to be used as the main navigation method in the website. I did some search on this topic, it seems that there is no way to handle this someway ...

Thanks for the Ajax indecators link, it was so useful for me