SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

max chars in table

hi all im trying to restrict the number of characters in a table and have the rest of the characters diplayed in a roll over
    HTML Code:
      <div align='left'>
     			    <table width='671' height='25' border='0' align='left'>
     				  <tr>
     				    <th width='672' height='21' scope='col'>
     					  <div align='left'><font size='2'>maximum number of characters in this aria say set to 13 then the full chars on alt text</font></div>
     					</th>
     				  </tr>
     				</table>

thanks for any help

I meant that to happen silver trophybronze trophy Raffles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't understand what you mean.

Also, you are doing something very wrong. You have to use double quotation marks for your attributes, i.e. <table width="671" -not- <table width='671'. You should also not use the font tag, since it's deprecated. Instead use <span> and give the text the size/colour you want using CSS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Raffles
    I don't understand what you mean.

Also, you are doing something very wrong. You have to use double quotation marks for your attributes, i.e. <table width="671" -not- <table width='671'. You should also not use the font tag, since it's deprecated. Instead use <span> and give the text the size/colour you want using CSS
    a measurement would be nice in there too .... 671 what? Pixels, Ems, Percent?

SitePoint Author silver trophybronze trophy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trampt
    a measurement would be nice in there too .... 671 what? Pixels, Ems, Percent?
    No, the presentational attributes in HTML are in pixels (unless a '%' character is appended after the length), so it's valid. (Although you shouldn't use presentational attributes, but that's another issue.)

@annimal: You cannot achieve what you're trying to do with only HTML and CSS. Table cells will try to expand to contain the text within them, as far as possible. You can fix the cell layout using table-layout:fixed, but there's no way to display overflow in a tooltip.
    Birnam wood is come to Dunsinane