SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Finally it's finished

Do you guys know the feeling when the site you've been working on (mostly in the evening hours and stuff) is finally finished and you don't have to be bothered about it again...

Ahhhhh I will toast on that this Friday evening ... after the squash competition..

hmmm feels good.
    the neigbours (free) WIFI makes it just a little more fun

Prolific Blogger silver trophy Technosailor's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know the feeling well, and I'm looking forward to feeling that feeling again IF I meet the deadline I am facing with this one client to be done before I leave for Thanksgiving Tuesday....

SKetch
    Aaron Brazell
    Technosailor

Xbox why have you forsaken me? moospot's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh yeah. The feelings even better when the client is a big pain and you finally wash your hands of the project.

Makes me think of my last project. I had a decent layout and good colors and practically did the whole thing up for this guy. Then he starts in with all these changes.

Now he has an ugly brown background and waaaay too many images on the front page (about 40 small logo images with JS rollovers). I tried to warn him, but....

Sometimes, you just gotta shrug and shake your head...

Boy, was I glad when I no longer had to look at that site!

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't have real paying customer... I mean I did it out of chairity (do you spell it like that?? ) any how It gave me a bunch of problems because they are the biggest computers dumbo's existing on the planet..

That if you make a button "Activate page" They will easily call me and say how can I activate my page .. (answer : Well press the button on your screen....)

It's one of those that started out as good fun but then somebody just comes in and takes it all out of there..

But I promised and being a gentleman and all that.. I kept my end ..

Ahhhh what a feeling
    the neigbours (free) WIFI makes it just a little more fun

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know the feeling peanuts.

Alot of my clients and potential clients are exactly as you are saying...charities and computer illiterates.

I have purposely NOT responded to phone calls for this reason.

I am thinking of taking on some free work to buoild my portfolio but am trying intelntionally to screen who I work with. I can't be taken advantage of. I will go to the end of the world for a client but if it gets out of hand or I feel used, I will nix further work. Free is free and a client should accept what they get...not to say that I shouldn't try to give them what I want. Basically, charity work can make you look like a hero or a real fiend...depending on the mindset of the group and/or contact you are working with.

Good luck wit dat...
    Sketch
    Aaron Brazell
    Technosailor

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sketch,

ever heard of scope creep ???

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nope...what is it?
    Sketch
    Aaron Brazell
    Technosailor

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Scope is the defined limits of a project. Kinda like the scope is defined in programming.

Anyway, scope creep is when you sell the client something, then they keep asking for little changes. Ooh, can you add this feature or that feature. Eventually its somethign completely different than what you originally had planned and it ends up taking twice as long. Of course, most people are cheap and don't want to pay you for the extra time. Thank god for contracts

I've heard it called feature creep as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by moospot
    Sketch,

ever heard of scope creep ???
    haha, i thought you were insulting him for a minute. first time i read it, i read it as. "ever heard of scope[b],[\b] creep?" i thought you were calling him a creep and hinting that he had bad breath. I was thinking you were being awfully mean.
    Some say the world will end in fire, Some say in ice.
    From what I've tasted of desire
    I hold with those who favor fire.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by moospot
    Scope is the defined limits of a project. Kinda like the scope is defined in programming.

Anyway, scope creep is when you sell the client something, then they keep asking for little changes. Ooh, can you add this feature or that feature. Eventually its somethign completely different than what you originally had planned and it ends up taking twice as long. Of course, most people are cheap and don't want to pay you for the extra time. Thank god for contracts

I've heard it called feature creep as well.
    Definitely had it. I have a contract that I will give a fictional actual value of $20,000 (I wish that figure were real!!). The cost of doing the project was $20,000 (fictional value). I charge the guy $10,000 because he's on a very tight budget, they're a charity and I know the guy personally. He was my youth pastor growing up. But still...50% off!!! He needs to meet budget, okay...I'll help you out and give you an extra boost of energy, vigor and effort, just because I'm a nice guy.

I go to get finaL approval on the project last week. If I get the approval, I publish the site. I've already had the project sitting on a server for him to see for the past month and a hlaf and all I need is some last minute info from him. He finally gets it to me and when I go for final approval...he has a gazillion changes that wouldn't be so bad if it didn't entail virtaually redesigning the whole GUI of the front page...another 3 days worth of work! The sad thing is, like I said, it sat there virtually the same for a month and a half while I was waiting on him. He coul;d have suggested changes then. He could have had me move paragraphys around then. I could have been putting my energy into a different GUI. But no, now I'm bumped up against Thanksgiving and 3 weeks past deadline (thanks to him!). I'm so frustrated right now.

Sketch
    Aaron Brazell
    Technosailor

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by bman
    [B]

haha, i thought you were insulting him for a minute. first time i read it, i read it as. "ever heard of scope,[\b] creep?" i thought you were calling him a creep and hinting that he had bad breath. I was thinking you were being awfully mean.
    LOL Creep!