SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

form validation in php

Pls, is there are any i could validate the input into a form , say user should only enter numerals rather that string xters from PHP

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can use is_numeric (http://uk.php.net/is_numeric) to check if a value is numeric or not. For more complicated form validation, I.e checking a valid email address you would probably do so using regular expressions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    start with http://php.net/manual/en/function.is-numeric.php and go from there....

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy Kailash Badu's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To get ease yourself from all the pain involved in form validation, use QuickForm package of PEAR. Yes, it might be a bit difficult to grasp to begin with, but as you do it for sometime itís breeze.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kailash Badu
    To get ease yourself from all the pain involved in form validation, use QuickForm package of PEAR. Yes, it might be a bit difficult to grasp to begin with, but as you do it for sometime itís breeze.
    Until you come to a situation where you cant use Pear, then all of a sudden you dont know how to validate input. For someone, who is obviously fairly new to PHP it would be more beneficial to learn how to validate input alone.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy Kailash Badu's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Until you come to a situation where you cant use Pear, then all of a sudden you dont know how to validate input
    It hardly happens, I suppose. Even when you use Pear, you easily know how exactly the validation is working. All the rules are written under Rule class, which simple uses general preg_match() against different regex values. In case you donít have pear, you can easily rewrite those function inside your own form validation page. I have found it easier then I expected.