SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool AJAX Example applications

I purchased "Build Your Own AJAX Web Applications." All examples excute and then show a new page Not Found, "The requested URL /fakeserver.php was not found on this server." or, ".../applogin.php was not found on this server."

All of the files for the examples are in the web root directory. This is served with Apache on Mac os 10.4.7.

There appears to be a reference error in the .js files but I'm not sure how to correct it. Changing the appmonitor1.js reference from /fakeserver to just fakeserver doesn't make a difference.

Suggestions appreciated.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    bill,

The example files are designed to be used one chapter at a time. So whichever chapter you're working on, you should copy the contents of that chapter folder into the web root directory. Once you're done with that chapter, delete those files and copy in the files for the next chapter.

The alternative is to re-write the code to point to the individual chapter directories, but if you're not experienced enough to do that yet, just use the recommended solution above.
    Kevin Yank
    CTO, sitepoint.com
    I wrote: Simply JavaScript | BYO PHP/MySQL | Tech Times | Editize
    Baby’s got back—a hard back, that is: The Ultimate CSS Reference

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kevin,
    Thanks for the fast response. I just tried again with chap 2, 3, 4. Cleaned out the Site folder and copied just the set of files from the book chapters. I still get the same response. I tried it with FireFox, Safari, Camino and Opera. Opera returns a blank page, the others 404 and "/applogin.php was not found on this server."