SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Life is short. Be happy today! silver trophybronze trophy Sagewing's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It makes me think they aren't successful, because if they were they wouldn't be dressing to impress. They'd just be dressing
    The fewer our wants, the nearer we resemble the gods. Socrates

SAGEWING LLC - QUALITY WEB AND MOBILE APPS. PREMIUM OUTSOURCING SERVICES.
    Twitter | LinkedIn | Facebook | Google+

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it makes me think they are about business. If I had a meeting with an underdressed person I would think they were unprofessional. But it depends on the profession. If it was web design or computer work I would not be turned off either way. But then again i like suits....

I dont understand how a grown man dont have a suit ....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have lots of suits, but I haven't worn a suit in a US business meeting in about 5 years.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What to wear syndrome

You are right to be able to judge what is suitable in different parts of the world. As I was thnking only of the States, I was addressing this only. But of course it will be stupid to dress in a black suit knowing that in the middle east the dress code is completely different.

As for hollywood moguls, I cannot talk on thier behalf. I think the more powerful you are the less you have to worry about your dress sense.

goodluck222
    CupDate - Your one-stop source for Free Articles
    Visit: http://www.cupdate.com

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy Tyssen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ccourt23
    I dont understand how a grown man dont have a suit ....
    I can think of plenty people/situations in which there would never be a need for a suit (except for maybe getting married and not everyone does that or needs a suit to do it either).

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What to wear

Personally I hate wearing suits, and you will not find me wearing one unless I have to. Let's say you had an interview-I will go for a suit definitely.

But it will also depend largely on the kind of company you are applying to.
    You have to judge for yourself. Every situation is different and calls for a different approach. I am not some square bloke who always wears one!. ok?

I just think the man is going to meet a prospective business meeting. So, just to play it safe - a suit is best.

Intelligence does not come into it, it is just some people accept a suit as de riguer and respect nothing else.

The choice is yours

goodluck222

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyssen
    I can think of plenty people/situations in which there would never be a need for a suit (except for maybe getting married and not everyone does that or needs a suit to do it either).
    What about going to a marriage, or a funeral....

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by goodluck222
    You are right to be able to judge what is suitable in different parts of the world. As I was thnking only of the States, I was addressing this only. But of course it will be stupid to dress in a black suit knowing that in the middle east the dress code is completely different.

As for hollywood moguls, I cannot talk on thier behalf. I think the more powerful you are the less you have to worry about your dress sense.

goodluck222
    But how many people on sitepoint are hollywood moguls or moguls in whatever industry.....

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy Tyssen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ccourt23
    What about going to a marriage, or a funeral....
    Um, did I not mention marriage in my post or did you just skip over that bit? I also mentioned that those things don't necessarily require suits either, especially where I come from. I've been to plenty of weddings/funerals where people (including the groom) haven't been wearing suits.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyssen
    Um, did I not mention marriage in my post or did you just skip over that bit? I also mentioned that those things don't necessarily require suits either, especially where I come from. I've been to plenty of weddings/funerals where people (including the groom) haven't been wearing suits.
    You said getting married I said attending a wedding. Well I completely understand your point...a lot of this has to do with the situation/culture/country

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it all depends on the place where the meeting is held now a days meetings are held in resorts where people can relax too, so you can also get away with casuals or if yuo want to beconventional then go for a nice suit or may b khakis

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To wear or not to wear. . is the question

You said getting married I said attending a wedding. Well I completely understand your point...a lot of this has to do with the situation/culture/country

Posts: 2 it all depends on the place where the meeting is held now a days meetings are held in resorts where people can relax too, so you can also get away with casuals or if yuo want to beconventional then go for a nice suit or may b khakis

Hello guys, I see you still want to pursue this thread with much vigour. I am open as to what I want to wear on different types of occasions. Khaki is good. . .

If you have the right style/dress sense you will know what will work for you. It is up to individuals to decide what looks good for them. Not following a fashion trend.
    This began with a question about what to wear for a first prospective client. And was the first client ever. So, it was probably a daunting task to know what to wear. But, simply just be yourself will put you at ease with the situation. You will be more able to deal with any situation henceforth.

As for funerals, I have not been to one as yet, but most likely wear somethiing dark, not bright . . .weddings . .I was will wear whatever I choose, but not a suit either!. I am not a suit man. But, if my finances were good, I will have a tailor made suits for such occasion or have fun wearing them. They can be easy to wear too.

goodluck222

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My dad always tells me "You can always dress down, but you can never dress up."

In other words, when you don't dress up enough it gets negative notices, but when you dress up, it never gets bad notices.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that used to be true, when the suit was the gold standard. It still is in some places, but not in 2 of the 4 cities that I operate in.

Still, better to be overdressed than underdressed, for sure.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy C. Ankerstjerne's Avatar
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't show up in a tux, though
    Christian Ankerstjerne
    <p<strong<abbr/HTML/ 4 teh win</>
    <>In Soviet Russia, website codes you!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I usually wear flip flops.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What to wear on your first meet

For me it will depend greatly on the kind of weather we have. Example if it was blazingly hot day i will want to be smart but casual. As I cannot wear a suit in such tempertures.

Sandals that are smart too.

goodluck222

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by goodluck222
    Sandals that are smart too.
    goodluck222
    Oh for sure, Ive got a stylin' pair of reef's.

Its the tropics, the guy I met with, a hotel owner..
    he had on tevas or something.

I dont think anyone felt out of place.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shaxs
    I really think it depends on the atmosphere
    I totally agree, sometimes it makes sense to wear slacks and a button-down shirt, other days are for jeans, and then, if you're very lucky, shorts and filp-flops! I personally never find the need for a suit, perhaps it is because I live in Seattle where fleece & gortex rule!
    Alexi Maczka
    SPARKBRIDGE.COM
    Design & Marketing

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most of the time I dress very professional bt occasionally (mainly on Fridays) I go a little more casual. I'm meeting with one of my best clients today and I'm wearing jeans. Still, they know I wear dress slacks M-T as they see me all the time.

I also think sometimes age plays into what you wear a little. If I saw an 18-year old in a suit I'd think it looked a little odd (most likely, I have seen teens that looked right at home in a suit). Same for if I saw a 50-year old in jeans and a t-shirt.

I have a friend that's a doctor and he wears shorts and tommy bahama shirts every day... it's just his little thing. When everyone else in his industry is wearing suits or dress slacks and a button-up he's ultra casual (but still dressed VERY nice). He gets away with it because it's not sloppy. It's still very nice dress, just casual.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Bleys's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by beley
    I also think sometimes age plays into what you wear a little. If I saw an 18-year old in a suit I'd think it looked a little odd (most likely, I have seen teens that looked right at home in a suit). Same for if I saw a 50-year old in jeans and a t-shirt.
    That's a good point. Not that an 18-year old designers should be compelled to wear Vans and cargo shorts around, but dressing inappropriately for your age can look just as clumsy as dressing messily.
    Josh is an anomaly
    rails & work & twitter

Organization is the
    death of creativity.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The matter is much relative in nature. Its depends largely to whom you are going to meet, that is your clientele. You must not be overdressed or underdressed because a much casual dress will leave a poor impression about you, similarly too formal dress also does not project a prudent personaliy.

One thing must be borne in mind whatever you wear must be sober and situation friendly. Also you need not too conscious about dress.
    With best regards, Rajasree
    [URL=http://www.jobntradeinfinity.com]
    [URL=http://medical-transcription.jobntradeinfinity.com]
    http://www.mtcareersonline.com

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You know finally it all comes down to the client you are going to meet its better you know everything about him and then decide how to dress up.

You dont want to offend your client but then again keep it simple and comfortable

SitePoint Enthusiast mile-jerkovic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by www.eukhost.com
    You know finally it all comes down to the client you are going to meet its better you know everything about him and then decide how to dress up.
    I disagree. You should be yourself.
    I always try to dress sharp, and don't want to stand out too much (it's awkward when clients stare at my poncho's pattern )
    ▀▄▀▄▀
    ▀▄▀▄▀

▀▀