User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    The Mind's I ® silver trophy Dark Tranquility's Avatar
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    well it really depends!
    I wear different stuff depending on the client! if he's a big client? what's his job? what kind of project? etc sometimes I put a full tuxedo sometimes a nice shirt and jeans can do it most of the times stuff like this:

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like guys wearing CK's formal dress. They are just fit and neat.

I believe it's enough to see a client when you dress neatly and comfortably. Be sure the dress can show your confident .

Vanessa Prakashe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talking

Dress how you would expect, if someone was to show up and try to sell you something. You get one chance at making a good impression, too casual and you will give the impression of not being professional, overdressed and you look like a goose. NO FUBU!

Suit pants, Long sleeve shirt, nice shoes... and breath mints.

LOOOVE the white polo neck.
    Video-Tutes.com
    Web & Graphic design video tutorials
    100% free video tutorials.

SitePoint Wizard drhowarddrfine's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How you dress for a client is never about you. It is about showing respect for the client. I would never visit a client the first time without wearing a suit and tie. If everyone there wears jeans and a t-shirt, then next time I might lose the tie but the jacket remains.

It's also about lowering yourself to a certain level. If you start wearing jeans and a t-shirt, you can start losing control of some situations in the discussions. You don't need an air of superiority. Just not an air of inferiority.

Life is short. Be happy today! silver trophybronze trophy Sagewing's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Someone putting on a suit for a meeting with me doesn't make me feel respected, really.
    The fewer our wants, the nearer we resemble the gods. — Socrates

SAGEWING LLC - QUALITY WEB AND MOBILE APPS. PREMIUM OUTSOURCING SERVICES.
    Twitter | LinkedIn | Facebook | Google+

You Bet Your Life...Really lerxtjr's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wish I saw this post earlier. Dress dark. Black shirt, charcoal dress pants. Black = authority and your potential clients will more than anything else want to believe that you are an authority on your subject. I've tested all kinds of clothing for such meetings and charcoal dress pants and black shirt always gets the deal...no matter what industry. A suit is too desparate looking. Light colors put the prospect in control. Dark is the way to go.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool

Hello Everybody,
    This is my first reply on a sitepoint forum.
    I think, when one meets a client for a first time, it's imp. to make
    a clean and professional impression, for which you neednt wear
    a suit. Neat, well-ironed casual dress, preferably the shirt tucked in,
    a good belt, and most importantly, cleanly shaved and with hair decently trimmed.
    And of course, well-polished shoes.
    suresh_csm

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You have to look like your client is expecting you to... or looks like him.
    Does he expects a vendor or a skilled technician ? a successful entrepreneur ?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This may sound silly, but make sure to pay attention to your hands and nails. Especially if you are in a dentist office. Nothing looks worse than icky man hands or lady fingernails that are chipped, bitten, or scraggly. Looks mean a lot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BrotherDaron
    Country - United States
    Company Business - Dentistry
    White shoes
    Tan khakis
    Subtle, possibly pastel toned, tropical shirt.

Dentists make a living of getting people to relax, I suggest you do the same for them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone remember the book, Dress for Success? Not sure if I still have it or not. This was definately geared toward the professional business world, but still very interesting and mostly applicable today. There was even a section about buying the correct furniture for your office.

Basically it said that people will judge you by your dress, like it or not. In this case, if you wanted to get ahead, you needed to dress ahead.

Brendon Sinclair had a piece about this a long time ago. If I recall, his take was dress professionally (jacket, tie, dress pants, etc.) to instill professionalism. He went up against another developer who was more casual. Guess who got the contract?

I always attend meetings with a sport coat, tie and dress pants at the very least. In the hot summer, you can get away with dropping the tie and wearing a more casual shirt.

I showed up to a client one time just to quickly pick up some papers in jeans and a t-shirt. I got a bit of grief about going "casual." Atleast I already had the signed contract in hand.
    Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday. Dale Carnegie

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok but each time someone tries to make a rule or otherwise codify the 'how to dress' there are so many exceptions that it's not really helpful. I mean, each circumstance is so different, as evidenced by this thread. I think the trick is to develop the skill of knowing what different kinds of clients wear so that you can dress accordingly.

If a developer or designer shows up for a meeting in a suit on one of my bigger jobs (a government onsite, for example) I would know for sure that it's their first contract of this type. Nobody wears suits in this kind of work (except, in Boston as noted earlier!).

In other places, a suit is the only way to go and even wearing a shirt/tie but no jacket would be noticed.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Always dress the way you feel would most impress your clients or boss
    http://tinyurl.com

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're what you wear .

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally... I would be wierded out if a web developer came to meet me wearing a suit. It would show me that he "may not get as much business" as I thought. Because a web developer is a more "golf shirt and slacks" kinda job, and anything more would give me the creeps and make me feel like he is trying to impress his "first big client". I would rather get the guy who wears a hawaiian shirt and flip flops with the mile deep and impressive portfolio. The way you present yourself in your personality and speech is most important.

AND I DON'T MEAN BE SLOPPY WITH THE CLOTHES. Always be tidy, clean and organized... but everyone knows this (but some people don't do it).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A white coat, glasses and carry a clipboard. Makes you look like a real boffin. Don't forget to shave a large bald patch on your forehead.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You'll find out if you relate to each other as you go.
    Showing up in a professional attire is showing respect for the meeting.
    Dark blue is the best color for jackets and pants
    any red (even a tiny bit) in your tie says you are a apower player.
    The shirt can be white or a striped or light shade but don't get carried away.
    Jacket - you should have one but in this summer heat you can get away
    without wearing it for long... or skip it
    but don't skip the dark blue or dark gray slacks
    light shirt and a tie.
    Alternately, a very classy silk shirt with a print or pattern
    can work but is close to the wire for a first meeting.
    First meetings are big deals.
    Dreass like a power player at least for this meeting.
    Then pull out the shorts and tee's once you are
    long term client/consultant buddies...

Liz

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seodevhead
    Personally... I would be wierded out if a web developer came to meet me wearing a suit. It would show me that he "may not get as much business" as I thought. Because a web developer is a more "golf shirt and slacks" kinda job, and anything more would give me the creeps and make me feel like he is trying to impress his "first big client". I would rather get the guy who wears a hawaiian shirt and flip flops with the mile deep and impressive portfolio. The way you present yourself in your personality and speech is most important.

AND I DON'T MEAN BE SLOPPY WITH THE CLOTHES. Always be tidy, clean and organized... but everyone knows this (but some people don't do it).
    If you were meeting with a freelance web developer working from a spare bedroom, then sure - a suit may be overkill. If you were meeting with one of the largest web development firms in your city, which employed 20 or so people and were meeting with the owner, would you expect the same dress?

I don't have 20 employees (yet) but I am not a freelancer. I am a business owner, and I try to present myself as one. That means dressing a little nicer than khakis and a polo most of the time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But in Los Angeles, dressing up too much would make you look less experienced. the owner of a succesful business would almost always be casual. It really depends where you are.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sagewing
    But in Los Angeles, dressing up too much would make you look less experienced. the owner of a succesful business would almost always be casual. It really depends where you are.
    Good point.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by beley
    I don't have 20 employees (yet) but I am not a freelancer. I am a business owner, and I try to present myself as one. That means dressing a little nicer than khakis and a polo most of the time.
    Even if I was President of the largest American design firm with the biggest pockets, I'd still be rockin' the golf shirt and khaki's. Here is the reason why...

Do you ever sit behind your computer coding all day wearing a suit and tie with wing tips to match??? If I was the client, the first thing I would say to myself after leaving a metting with the president, designer, whoever that was wearing a suit and tie is... "yea right... who does he think he is fooling... like he is going to go back to the office and start coding 10 hrs in his suit and tie... or even bark orders to a bunch of trekkies wearing simpson's t-shirts.

The suit and tie thing would have worked 5 years ago, but not today.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A Business professional must wear a suit and a tie.

For the person who started this thread. I will advise you wear a suit but your suit should not be a new one. You are a business professional and you must put on a tie, that is your business culture, if you are seeking an in-house position, the tradition is to adopt the satorial code in that company.

Again, you must prepare properly for the meeting and if possible have a project evaluation sheet with you.....
    fash

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    dress in a cool causal manner . something that says I have class but not stuck up!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    did you watch old movie men in black, that is what to wear on the first meeting.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy C. Ankerstjerne's Avatar
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Musicbox
    did you watch old movie men in black, that is what to wear on the first meeting.
    Calling MIB an old movie makes me feel really old. If MIB is old, then what is Metropolis, Nosferatu, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, Casablanca, etc.?
    Christian Ankerstjerne
    <p<strong<abbr/HTML/ 4 teh win</>
    <>In Soviet Russia, website codes you!