SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    dooby dooby doo silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    I have never been to a first, second or indeed third meeting NOT in a suit. Business is business and over here a suit matters.

BUT as has been said further up the thread, it does depend where you are in the world!

If you do wear a suit, spend a bit of money getting a decent one. A $100 suit is going to look like a $100 suit - naff. Spend some money and see it as a business investment. Shoes are also important

Just my opinion =]
    Mike Swiffin - Community Team Advisor
    Only a woman can read between the lines of a one word answer.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought the rule was simple - dress better than your client.
    ->Outsource Here<-
    Dreaming of the 4 Hour Workweek? Visit SigePo and start living
    a more relaxed lifestyle. Mention SitePoint for special pricing.

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get enough clients that you don't have to look for new business in the summer. That ends the suits-on-hot-summer-days dilemma.

Honestly, I've never had to meet in the summer, but I've always worn a suit if I don't know the person already. If I do, I would probably opt for the slacks/khakis and button-up or polo shirt without a tie.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Grossman
    Get enough clients that you don't have to look for new business in the summer. That ends the suits-on-hot-summer-days dilemma.
    Indeed...

These days are very hard to move around. I usually wear plain shirts [preferably white or blue] and trousers if I had a meeting.

Winters are the best season to wear smart suites and ties )

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    be smart, always

Life is short. Be happy today! silver trophybronze trophy Sagewing's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I usually just dress the way my client does. If they wear suits, I wear a suit. If they are casual, I go casual.
    The fewer our wants, the nearer we resemble the gods. Socrates

SAGEWING LLC - QUALITY WEB AND MOBILE APPS. PREMIUM OUTSOURCING SERVICES.
    Twitter | LinkedIn | Facebook | Google+

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sagewing
    I usually just dress the way my client does. If they wear suits, I wear a suit. If they are casual, I go casual.
    So what you're saying is, it depends on whether your client is a PC or a Mac.

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by coo_t2
    So what you're saying is, it depends on whether your client is a PC or a Mac.
    Or the wonderful synergy of Mac and Linux. That was my last office. Any OS you want other than Windows.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had enough Mac clients when I was in Hollywood, thanks. I'll take the *nix/Windows clients any day

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by spikeZ
    I have never been to a first, second or indeed third meeting NOT in a suit. Business is business and over here a suit matters.

BUT as has been said further up the thread, it does depend where you are in the world!

If you do wear a suit, spend a bit of money getting a decent one. A $100 suit is going to look like a $100 suit - naff. Spend some money and see it as a business investment. Shoes are also important

Just my opinion =]
    I agree! A good suit is actually much easier to use in every day life than jeans etc. Don't get the cheap ones. They are crap. They look bad after 30 minutes and are a pain to use. Go to special shops for suits.

The good work suits you don't need to maintain all the time. Get the right fabric that doesn't crumble. I'm not talking Armani suits or anything like that, but just don't buy the $100 ones. More like atleast $400 - $500 (local prices here).

I usually wear a suit and a good shirt, but without the tie. I love ties, but where I live, in Norway, mostly only certain parts of the business community wear them. Its a bit informal here. I usually joke with my coworkers that if you want to spot the real boss in a Norwegian company, look for jeans. If you see a suit it's a wannabe. Then they point out to me that I wear suit, while they wear jeans.

Dress codes are very different from different parts of the world and different industries.

Suit or no suit, always dress smart and clean. The importance may vary from location and customer, but it never hurts to try to make a good first impression.
    George Skee
    Follow me at GeorgeSkee.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i lack experience, but i doubt many lose deals over what they are wearing. ofcourse:

bad clothes + not knowing what you're talking about is much worse than not knowing what you are talking about and "at least" having a nice suit

when wearing fancy clothes you can get away with alot. at the end of the day it all comes down to being able to convince him with what comes out of your mouth, not your closet

so ... unless you feel 100% confident, id go with the suit :-)

ps - i deal with doctors daily and they are always pressed for time. be prepared
    I need someone to protect me from
    all the measures they take in order to protect me

dooby dooby doo silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stef25
    i lack experience, but i doubt many lose deals over what they are wearing. ofcourse:
    You would be surprised. It's not that different to going for a job interview and you wouldn't go to an interview wearing jeans and a t shirt and expect to get the job would you?
    Mike Swiffin - Community Team Advisor
    Only a woman can read between the lines of a one word answer.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It depends on context I guess.

If I interview a new developer, and they wear a suit, I see it as a sign of inexperience. Same with web designers. I feel this way because nobody wears suits in the development world or the designer world (in my experience). So, to wear a suit shows that that are motivated but inexperienced.

When I was working in New Zealand and Honk Kong, everyone wore suits. We hired some designers and they wore suits, too. They knew the territory, I suppose.

If I meet a designer at a restuarant or coffeeshop, I expect them to be casual. Mostly, I still think the trick is to wear that the client is wearing,though.

Galactic Overlord gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    886 Post(s)
    Tagged
    13 Thread(s)
    If I interview a new developer, and they wear a suit, I see it as a sign of inexperience.

When I was working in New Zealand and Honk Kong, everyone wore suits. We hired some designers and they wore suits, too. They knew the territory, I suppose.
    Wow! It's just standard practice to wear a suit to pretty much ANY interview here, no matter what the role. It's interesting that it could be construed as inexperience elsewhere.

Where is Honk Kong btw? Sounds interesting.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yea when I lived in Auckland we wore suits for all business matters. I liked it! Hong Konk is south of Khina.

Intoxicated with the madness petertdavis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wwb_99
    Which segways nicely into my nice point--where are you working. If I was in california, I would skip the suit at nearly all costs. People just don't wear them. On the other hand, in DC or New York, I would probably break out the tie.
    I think that's an important point. There are some significant regional differences in business dress. If you're native to the region, you should be able to fit in, but if you're moving to a new region you may have to get new clothes. New England is known for being traditional with business attire, even thought it's loosened up in recent years, it's still a bit out of step with other parts of the country. I've seen people in business settings in places like Colorado or Utah, dressed in what was probably normal for them but would make people think they're nuts here in Boston.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    good tips above. just dont go commando.
    stay hungry, stay foolish.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You must wear a formal dress thats all and nothing else.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by blackship
    You must wear a formal dress thats all and nothing else.

Yes, but if you're a man, and you have a hairy back, you should not wear a low-cut evening gown. That would be in bad taste.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dont see the point of someone typing a reply to the orriginal question and then someone else typing an almost exact same reply as the previous reply. If the question as already been answered why post an almost duplicate answer?

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Bleys's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pillman
    I dont see the point of someone typing a reply to the orriginal question and then someone else typing an almost exact same reply as the previous reply. If the question as already been answered why post an almost duplicate answer?
    I think a lot of people shared many different opinions in this thread. Anyway, the keyword is opinion. What you say might be valid if you're talking about someone answering a PHP question with the exact same code as the previous answer, but since this question dealt with a matter of opinion it is valuable for the asker to get a concensus--which is done by seeing how many people answer in certain ways.

Think of it more like a poll, in this case. You wouldn't say, "I don't see the point of voting for that option since someone else already voted for it," would you?
    Josh is an anomaly
    rails & work & twitter

Organization is the
    death of creativity.

chown linux:users\ /world Hartmann's Avatar
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll throw in my $.02.

I have always been told to wear something just a little nicer than what the client wears. However, I have never worn jeans, unless the client requests that. You can be "casual" and still be dressed professionally.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's good advice, but I still think it sends the message of confidence to NOT dress nicer than they do. It suggests that you don't need to, and if you didn't need to, you probably wouldn't! But, we are getting picky now

chown linux:users\ /world Hartmann's Avatar
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's good advice, but I still think it sends the message of confidence to NOT dress nicer than they do. It suggests that you don't need to, and if you didn't need to, you probably wouldn't! But, we are getting picky now
    No, your point is very valid. I think it is all a matter of doing research on the company/person that you will be meeting with. Just understanding the company's culture can help determine what to wear.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really think it depends on the atmosphere. Here in San Diego, most people are very laid back. For smaller clients, I usually wear a nice pair of jeans, nice long sleeve button up shirt, and nice shoes. For bigger deals, I wear slacks, a long sleeve dress shirt, no tie, and nice shoes.

Even when I wear jeans, I usually more dressed than the clients.