User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

on-line/off-line credit card processing

Greetings everybody.
    We are building an on-line store for our client and he wants process credit card orders.
    The problem for me is that he wants all credit cards to be verified in real time(check if the card is valid and there is enough money) but not to be billed. He wants to process all orders manually.

What would be a good solution for this? He already have a merchant account for off-line processing.

Thanks in advance
    www.artics.com - high quality low cost web development

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm just getting started in this area, but the merchant gateway I'm working with, Skipjack doesn't seem to support verification-only transaction without an actual billing. I guess you could do a transaction and then immediately send a reversal, and if you do it before the transaction is settled it won't appear on the customer's statement. But that seems silly.

Actually, I guess it's not easy to tell your client this, but the idea of using all of this technology just to verify the card, and then processing the order manually seems pretty absurd. Maybe I'm missing something?

I have seen scripts that validate credit card numbers, based on a mathematical formula (the numbers aren't just sequentially assigned, in case you didn't already know that), but that doesn't mean that the card is actually active or that there is enough credit on the account.
    Dave

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vays:

Check out www.echo-inc.com for exactly what you need. Set up a merchant account with them (in fact, probably the lowest merchant account fees on the Web) and you use their gateway for free. You can do an auth-only in your realtime application, then come back later and actually process the deposit manually using their ECHO Merchant Center.

I can't say enough good things about ECHO. If you set up an account, mention my brother's company (Gear Press).
    You're paying too much to be listed at Goto.com!
    Keep your ranking and save money with Position Guardian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WHat you're talking about is doing the charge part first and later do the deposit.

When a CC is "charged" typically it's a combination of 2 steps:

1) The "authorize" step that verifies the card is valid, has sufficent credit limit and deducts the amount of the charge from the limit.

2) The "deposit" step in which the CC processor deposits the amount of the charge (less processing fees) into the merchant bank account.

Most CC processors let you break this up into the two parts and perform them seperately. A lot of times a vendor will authorize you but withhold the deposit until later. Or they will authorize you and then cancel the charge thus "reserving" a limit on your card.

I know thet Echo and Charge.com let you do this via the box or virtual terminal. Not sure about the gateway. You'd have to send some kind of parameter to the gateway to tell it to authorize only.

Also, automatic authorization makes it harder to reverse the charge if you can't fulfill the full amount of the order. For example, if you authorize $100 for a hundred dollar order but you can only deliver $75 worth of product you'll still have to go in and cancel the first charge and put in the proper second charge.
    Ocean View Host - Affordable web hosting plans for any business.
    Modern Technology, Old Fashioned Value & Service!
    U.S. Merchant Services - Reliable merchant account services for all business!
    Quality People Providing A Quality Service!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everybody.
    This forum is really helpful.

Originally posted by DHarrison
    Actually, I guess it's not easy to tell your client this, but the idea of using all of this technology just to verify the card, and then processing the order manually seems pretty absurd. Maybe I'm missing something?
    [/B]
    The reason he needs it is that he may need to change the charged amount after manual review.

Check out www.echo-inc.com for exactly what you need. Set up a merchant account with them (in fact, probably the lowest merchant account fees on the Web) and you use their gateway for free. You can do an auth-only in your realtime application, then come back later and actually process the deposit manually using their ECHO Merchant Center.
    Can You tell me please if he would be able to process payments thru his off-line merchant account? He may need this feature to have everything in one place cause most of the orders are phone orders.

Thanks again.
    www.artics.com - high quality low cost web development

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vays:

As far as I know, absolutely no problem. You can do the auth only through the gateway or through their merchant center, and you can do the deposit through the gateway or through the merchant center as well.

Call ECHO using their toll-free number and talk to them about it. So far, they've been great for us.
    You're paying too much to be listed at Goto.com!
    Keep your ranking and save money with Position Guardian

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    see if practicepaysolutions.com offers what you're looking for.