SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

JavaScript/AJAX, PHP, and MySQL: Does it get better?

Combining two extremeley power programming languages (1 server side, and 1 client side) along with a very powerful database, seems to produce extremely powerful applications.

How many of you have utilized all 3 in your programming? What applications have you developed and do you have links to them?

My current "fun side-project" is creating a PHP + AJAX (or maybe simply javascript) to take Radar images grabbed using PHP, saved, and then use javascript to create an interface to play back the images at X fps I have no extreme need for a database in this project, but if I wanted to expand it I would add one for sure.
    ]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally I only know PHP and MySQL, just starting to learn javascript. So I didn't really make anything combining those yet.

Taking over the web one pixel at a time.
    Currently working @ CodeCreators

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm currently working on a game that uses javascript{both html manipulation as well as ajax} + php5 + sql

javascript for the UI as well as for communication with the server {ajax of coarse} php for the logic.
    I'm actauly looking at joining php and javascript to deliver more customized javascript functions for each users browser and decrease load times for javascript{by removeing code thats not supported for that browser as well as move the browser detection to server side[unforchante side effects, people that mask their browser will have issues and most likely not be able to play]}

I'm also in the middle of my third rewrite of the basics to try and force myself out of the procedural php programing and into the oop side

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been using PHP/MySQL for around 2 years now and I've found it a powerful combo for rapid web-based applications development. I've really started using JavaScript and AJAX only recently, so I don't have any examples that combine all of them. But I must say, client-side scripting enables web applications to act interactively, more like the desktop ones, which is a plus, for sure. I hope, I will have something complete, that combines PHP, MySQL and JS, soon.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used JavaScript/AJAX, PHP/MySQL on my blog here http://www.avclan.net/wip
    I'm taking an extended vacation from it for now, as I just started a new job and it takes most of my time. When I'm done, it'll have a full calendar system supporting one-time, and recurring events. Also, the gallery will be fully functional and will show EXIF data, allow comments and votes..

One of my other side projects uses everything but MySQL. My Winamp Remote

I could easily add MySQL driven user management, and use the database to store chat sessions. So far I've opted to keep it simple while I'm still developing.
    Current Project: Winamp - Online Remote

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All the time, well almost every time it is appropiate. At the same time, it should also be used sparingly, not all browsers support it and it can be a pain as it is not obvious if there is activity on the page, also, you can't refresh, go back and forward on certain events. Google Suggest and Google Maps should give you inspiration on when to use AJAX.

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MilchstrabeStern
    How many of you have utilized all 3 in your programming? What applications have you developed and do you have links to them?
    W3Counter. Mode switching, expanding rows, paging. 84% bandwidth savings for new browsers, and works just fine when JavaScript is disabled too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PHP Code:
     works just fine when JavaScript is disabled too
    Are you using Ajax just for interactive convinience, but it will work with simple PHP too?
    ]

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes. For example, paging. There's a data table on the page, and it shows 20 rows at a time, out of several thousand. Clicking the "2" link to go to page 2 fires the onClick event which uses AJAX to request the second page, gets it and replaces the 20 rows of the table with page 2.

Turn off JavaScript and when you click the "2" link to go to page 2, rather than onClick occurring which requires JavaScript, that link had a normal href= attribute adding ?page=2 to the URL, and the entire page is retrieved showing page 2 of the table.

Same data, slightly slower, but no loss of capability for the JS-disabled user.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, AJAX, in most cases, should be used with a non-scripted alternative.

Dan Grossman, where do you get 84% bandwidth savings from when using AJAX? For example, the new result sets that are updated would be done anyways with a small overhead for header, footer and menus. Or did you count style sheets, JS scripts and images as well (which can be cached)? Just curious.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Because the content needed for the update is often a small fraction of the full page's HTML. When you click a row for additional info, you just need to get a couple bytes of data, not a full 15kb page again. It's a huge speed and bandwidth savings.