SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Hybrid View

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cant really find information on these sort of questions on the net so can someone help me out or point me in the right direction?

In business web site design (sites that include interactivity - ASP and the like). are their specific people who manage different jobs?
    Ie. Does a team or person work on the graphics while while someone else works on the content/coading?

And in what order is this generally done (if it is)...Are the graphics received and content place within them or vice versa?

Need some kind of design plan.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe there isn't really a standard 'design schedule', its very project specific. What you do with it will depend on the size of the project, the amount of money you want to spend on it, the number of people you are willing to hire and on the desired quality. I see a lot of large projects dividing the work between teams: programmers, HTML coders, graphics people. Some are more successful some are less. Sometimes you have all the parts (code, graphics, etc) done very well, but you can't integrate them into one whole thing.

There are a lot of projects that start off with just one person doing all the work, but I rarely see someone who posesses great programming, HTML and artistic skills. From what I have seen, those projects either stay small maybe medium size, and those that grow require more people to work on it.

Also take into consideration the amount of time you have, do you have deadlines, do you think that one person can handle the work load?

As to what comes first: the graphics or the programming - I firmly beleive that content and navigation (site architecture) come first. And then you can decide whether its graphical, text based, dynamic, etc etc. That will help you determine which of the two you should do first.

I hope this helps. Correct me if I am wrong.

::temis

[This message has been edited by temis (edited February 23, 2000).]

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree w/ temis in that you should structure your site before you attempt to make graphics or begin coding.

Now, as far as what comes first, I think it is totally personal preference. Because, many of the times I am working on a site, I like to do the graphics first because they usually affect the layout of the site mostly. Content is usually flexible in how it goes into the site, whereas many graphics are not.

Teams? I think teams are good, because as temis mentioned very few people posess the necessary artistic skills and programming skills. For example, I am a mediocre artist, and a pretty darn good HTML programmer in my opinion. If I were to begin a large-scale site, I would definitely get a graphics person to help out. Also, teams are good because they lighten each person's work load.
    One caveat: it is sometimes hard to work w/ a team if you are unable to talk w/ the person f2f or via phone.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just look at Yahoo! - It was started by a couple of students, now it's one of the most popular sites on the web.

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I read an article from somewhere. I know its linked on www.articlecentral.com under one of the design topics. Anyways it lists a couple of methodologies you could use to prototype your work. If you look at the older media formats though you can probably find something you can adapt to your site design phase. Below are two rough layouts you could use.

1. Print Media or News/Information Website (like WR)
    a. Find Story (Reviews of WYSIWYG HTML Editors)
    b. Research Story (Get review copies from publishers and test side by side.)
    c. Write Story (write your results along with opinions i.e. didn't like interface or way over the newbie's head)
    d. Layout (get screen captures, and some graphics maybe a little rating icon or some doodads from the interface, format text)
    e. Print (get out the FTP program).

2. Television/Movies or Entertainment Site.
    a. Story Idea
    b. Create basic plot (Old woman is eaten by wolf before granddaughter visits. Granddaughter almost eaten but saved by Woodsman.)
    c. Create Story Board. This includes basic scenery (i.e. in the forest lives an old woman, forest path, cottage), along with main character (young woman) and supporting characters (wolf, woodsman and old woman). This can be a simple outline or a panel display like a comic book.
    c. design characters and locations (girl wears red cloak, skips while she walks and sings to the butterflies. Woodsman is large man with an even larger axe, has good hearing and is named Hans, Wolf is grey and white and has big ears, teeth and eyes. Wolf also has a very large appetite. Old woman is frail but likes honey and bisquits.)
    d. Refine Story and write out script (I think you get the picture of the story by now.)
    d. film/draw/animate etc...
    e. publish and distribute.

I hope this gives you a couple of ideas of how you can proceed with your own project.