SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The following concerns the page at http://www.adventuregamer.com/temp/a.../e3_1999.shtml I am working on right now.

See that photo in the article? Well it has vspace=10 and hspace=10, but it doesn't have ANY spacing around it. At least, not in my IE5. I tried everything to get that spacing right, but the text remains on a 1px distance of the table with the photo. I'm desperate (I am not even allowed to share this URL, as it's the prototype for a new design!), so please help me.

Any suggestions as to why it isn't working? (Just to make things clear, I assigned the spacing tags to the table, not the image.)

[This message has been edited by maximar (edited February 07, 2000).]

jbm
    SitePoint Community Guest
    try this:
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">code/font><HR><pre>
    &lt;img src="images/e3floor.jpg" width="140" height="97" vspace="10" hspace="10"&gt;
    [/code]

I am pretty sure you can't specify vspace and hspace for the table cell, its for image only.

jbm

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For table cells you want to use the cellpadding attribute.

------------------
    Wayne Luke

The Majormud Encyclopedia - www.bloodquest2.com
    Come Play one of the hottest games on the net.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's not it. I used the vspace and hspace by changing some parametres in Dreamweaver. That means it's supported, and I know it is.

If I would add spacing to the picture, there would be space between the picture and the table border. The same goes for changing the Cellpadding or Cellspacing; it changes the spacing within the cell. I just want to have a white border around my table on the outside, that's all . . .

Just Blow It bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Unfortunately, I do believe jbm and wluke are correct. VSPACE and HSPACE are only valid for images. I think netscape and IE will just ignore the invalid tag options.

To get the look you want, what you could do is add the following around the image table:

&lt;table width="170" border=0 cellspacing=0 cellpadding=5 align="right"&gt;
    &lt;TR&gt;&lt;TD Align=Center&gt;
    :
    : Your image table goes here.......
    :
    &lt;/TD&gt;&lt;/TR&gt;&lt;/TABLE&gt;

I added the cellpadding=5 to the table definition to allow for some spacing BELOW the image table too. Make sure you take the align=right out of the image table to center it in the empty table.

Hope this gives you what you want.

------------------
    Dave Maxwell
    www.keystonecapitalchorus.org
    www.trademarkquartet.com

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you want a border around your picture you would use the border attribute of the image tag. I believe it will show up as the same color as your link colors though since image borders are (were?) used primarily to mark the image as a link back in the days before people actually wanted their pages to look good. The best way to add borders of your choosing is to edit the image in your graphic editor of choice and add them. I know in Paint Shop Pro that you can add them simply by choosing the Add Borders command off the image menu.

Also because a program like Dreamweaver supports an attribute on a particular tag doesn't mean that the attribute is valid in all browsers. The browser companies are given recommendations on features of HTML to implement but how they implement those features is up to their interpretation.
    ------------------
    Wayne Luke
    Internet Media Provider

[This message has been edited by wluke (edited February 10, 2000).]

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the help and suggestions!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why cant you just be your table in another table (which bgcolor=white or leave blank) with a table spacing or padding of 5?