User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Help hackin' IE ;) (css height issue)

Hi all

I've been trying all bunch of things to hack a "small issue" with IE6 - the page looks as it should in FF. If you can spare a minute and you may know a trick or two on this matter please post away

The problem is that the green banner at the top (with a logo, menu and 2 pictures) is heigher (taller) in IE(6) than it should be... In IE it's 117px high wheras it should be only 113px high (as it is in FF).

This might(/not) point to the answer: if I as a test either remove the menu (id="hMenu") OR the 2nd picture (id="bannerpic2") it looks as it should in IE... This is ofcause not what I want - but it might help to understand what the heck IE's doing - do you know?

The page can be seen here (don't mind the broken flash thingy - haven't made it yet):
    http://www.rkj.dk/csstest/index.html

The CSS file is here:
    http://www.rkj.dk/csstest/css/front.css

What can I do so it looks ok in IE?
    René

SitePoint Wizard silver trophybronze trophy Nadia P's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    try feeding IE a hack or a conditional comment eg:

I just tried this and it appears the same size- but this is on a quite look only

*html #banner {height: 109px; padding: 0; margin: 0;}

Nadia

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Didn't do the job

Sorry it didn't do anything..

IE dosen't react to any size smaller than 117px (means it will make the #banner taller than 117px but eg. not 109px as suggested) - the banner is also set to height: 113px; already - which it also should be in IE - but for some odd reason it won't be.

But thanks for your suggestion - always nice with some feedback

René

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yahooo - huh?! Yahoo? Nope.. more like Yippiyokaje!!

I nailed it - it might not be beautiful (which I deep in myself truely want - sometimes it just can't be)...

I plaied a bit around with #bannerpic2 since if this was removed it all looked ok - so it ought to be the sinner..... or is it IE which is the sinner?!

I'm not sure what to learn from this - but I'm eager to learn something...

Anyway I just applied this line to #bannerpic2:
    margin: 0 0 -4px 0;

and it now looks as it should both in FF and IE.. Soooo I'm mooore than happy

But also makes me think - I think I in general am careful with margins and paddings - though I don't apply them where it inheritates from parents - but this is where I'm not too sure when it does - anyway... I want to learn something - so of any of you have some wise words to close this.. Please spare Else it's also ok - I'm happy.

Oh.. and by the way: I've uploaded this new one overwritten the old one.. so this one works http://www.rkj.dk/csstest - only difference is that one line which is added to #bannerpic2

René