Hybrid View

Skills to Pay the Bills Sparkie's Avatar
    A cave with 47 computers and an internet feed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not a netscape user.. so I'm pulling my hair out over this one:

The main page of my website (in addition to other pages) will not show up in netscape navigator - only the main heading graphic shows up. No links, no text, nothing.

The only problem I see is that I have a table to the right which doesn't have an immediate </table> tag because I switch colors in it.. (even if I try to put one there, it throws the entire box off and looks horrible)

I'm thinking that maybe Netscape is throwing a fit because of this..The version I checked it with was Netscape Navigator 4.06, on an ancient 486, if that helps..

You can see what I mean at www.pawsitronic.com and at www.pawsitronic.com/about_us.html

both of these pages use those tables.. the pages that don't use them show up fine.

I have a feeling I'm overlooking some tiny mistake.. as I'm seemingly notorious for that :P

Help!
    Sparkie

[This message has been edited by Sparkie (edited February 22, 2000).]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You forgot the beginning <!-- in this javascript, but you still end it:

<script language=javascript>
    var linktext = "Questions?<br>Comments?<br>Suggestions?<br>";
    var email1 = "webmaster";
    var email2 = "pawsitronic.com";

document.write("<a href=" + "mail" + "to:" + email1 + "@" + email2 + ">" +
    linktext + "</a>")
    //-->
    </script>

---------------------------
    Here, the last line should be </td></tr> not </tr></td>

<!--SIDE TABLE-->
    <TABLE width=198 align=right border=0 cellpadding=7 cellspacing=1>
    <tr><td bgcolor="#FF6600">
    <font face="arial" size="2" color="#FFFFFF"><b> GOT QUESTIONS? </b></font>
    </tr></td>

Same Here:
    </tr></td>
    </TABLE>
    <!--END SIDE TABLE-->

---------------------------------------
    Also, you never closed the table you started way up at the top. you need to close it using </td></tr></table> or netscape just will not show it.

------------------
    "Freedom of the press is limited to those who own one." -A.J. Liebling
    You DO own one. the plebius press

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know this is gonna get me a lot of flack but some users but here goes...

Netscape Navigator 4 and Higher is crappy bug ridden software that is not worth the media its shipped on. With Version 3.0 Netscape had a market leader. Before version 4.0, Navigator was superior software and innovative while still being an industry leader in both the consumer and business sectors. This by itself showed the promise of Netscape communications. Since businesses don't want innovative, they want it to work properly. Now Netscape is providing its users with a second-class product and trying to still compete in the big leagues. Maybe their software will be better when Gecko is released in Version 5 but going on 3 years of development without a product seems to suggest that Netscape Communications is gasping its last breaths as AOL Inc. tightens its stranglehold on the Internet.

Ok.. I got that off my chest. Now to your problem. Make sure every table tag is closed. If you miss any one cell including table it won't load the page because its waiting for the page to finish loading even though it gets a closing body and a closing html tag.

------------------
    Wayne Luke
    Internet Media Provider

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well,
    Netscape is superior because it doesn't let people use poorly coded HTML. Now if you think letting people use poorly coded HTML is a good thing, then i'm happy for you, but in the long run it really is best to use proper HTML instead of writing bad code and relying on the user's browser to fix things for you.

------------------
    "Freedom of the press is limited to those who own one." -A.J. Liebling
    You DO own one. the plebius press

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use Netscape when I design my web sites. Netscape is so picky that you'll get all the bugs out, whereas IE lets anything through.

I'd prefer to be 100% correct, unlike 99% of webmasters who are content with their sloppy, bug-ridden web sites that work only in IE. If anything, it is IE that is made up of poorly written code.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    all of you are very correct, HTML needs to be well written and checked in both. But Wayne made a good point that ever since AOL bought Netscape the development of their products stopped. Take their server - used to be the best out there, and now what? I want a browser that will work well with style sheets and layers. Hopefully NN's Gecko will give us all a chance to write good code and not worry about browser incompatibility.

Just my two cents

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with NiteGold. My code is as impeccable as humanly possible and it still doesn't always work in Netscape. Code problems aside Netscape can't stand up to modern development of Internet Applications. I don't design websites but applications that allow people to exchange information. These applications must have standard interfaces, error-trapping and all the other features found in shrink-wrapped software. They must also be able to communicate with such applications as MS-Office, Corel Office or any other DDE enabled application and be able to access the user's hard drive plus have all the benefits of a website thrown in (cross-platform, world-wide access, etc...). You try building such an application in Netscape, without plugins, that can be used over a 28.8K connection with users all over the world and see how far you get.

Netscape had the torch but dropped it in the home stretch. All we have to see now is if they can recover and cross the finish line.

Microsoft isn't the best company in the world but at least their tools can be used to build cooperative applications now.. Not 5 years from now.

p.s. Sorry Sparkie I kind of took over your message.

------------------
    Wayne Luke
    Internet Media Provider

[This message has been edited by wluke (edited February 22, 2000).]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you LuZeR for pointing out that problem.. I have triple-checked, and I believe all the table and script errors to be fixed now, but all you pro-netscapers are welcome to look again

I'm not going to get into a which-browser-is-better discussion..I think that's been worn out enough in another post, but let me just say that for myself, I simply use IE not because it lets me "get away" with crippled code, but just because the majority of my visitors will be using it too.

Simple human error can intervene whenever you hand code work as I do, but I ran all of the pages through HTML validation programs and none of them picked up the problem. I greatly appreciate everyone helping me to find the problem. Sometimes it takes a few extra sets of eyes to see the things I overlook

Sparkie www.pawsitronic.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The whole page shows up now in netscape.

Chicken
    SitePoint Community Guest
    One could argue Netscape vs IE for years (then they will go ahead and change the version in case the controversy dies momentarily, heh). IE has a few "human error" helpers built in, that Netscape doesn't.

Take for example the space " " tag. In Netscape, if you accidentally leave off the ";" it prints "&nbsp". In IE if you do this, it prints a space. Kinda a built in typo fixer. Yup, it is crappy HTML, but it is nice that someone thought of this.

There is no excuse for crappy coding, but newbies make mistakes (ahem, I have been known to leave off a table tag and mix up a TD/TR tag from time to time even).

Netscape seems like it wanders around aimlessly unless it is told exactly what to do. IE at least displays *something*, even though it wasn't coded correctly. Is this good or bad? Well, both depending on how you look at it. Mostly just bad I know...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I appreciate the help very much!! I think that before I'm "finished" with this site, I will have to download a copy of netscape just to see how it will look. The reason I haven't done so already is because NS and IE are like siblings.. they fuss and fight and cannot stand it if one is better than the other

------------------
    Leave Your Mark!
    www.pawsitronic.com

Your one-stop web design solution!