SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Scrollbar problem in IE

Why doesn't IE put a nice scrollbar like FF?

I put this code for the nav div (i used 3 frames, the nav is the left frame, as you can see at http://www.childexodus.org )

#nav {

direction:rtl;
    padding-left: 3.2em;
    margin-top:2em;
    position: absolute;
    width: auto;
    height:80%;
    overflow:auto;
    text-align: left;
    }

i want the navscrollbar to appear on the lefthand side, hence the direction:rtl with the text-align:left
    Now why does FF perfectly respond to this and IE refuses to show a scrollbar.
    Even with overflow:scroll, the scrollbar is visible but can't be used. It seems like it doesn't recognize the height has changed. It this due to the 100%?
    Thanks for any help. I'm searching for days already without result.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hi there,

I hope you realise that overflow: auto; will only display scroll-bars when inner content overflows the given dimensions. If you want to force a vertical scroll-bar to stay on at all times, you can add an inner <div> wrapper, and set it's height to 101%.

For the record, In FF1.5 here right now no scroll-bars show until I bump up the text size.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you so much for the reply

my question :
    Then how does one add a scrollbar only when the window is resized or viewed at a smaller resolution? I don't want a scrollbar at all times, only when viewed in smaller size.
    If you resize the window in FF, it shows scrollbars, right? (it does here, but IE doesn't) That's the problem : IE not showing the scrollbars when the page height is reduced