SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Help Merging the phpbb forum log-in feature with my site?

Hi,
    I am currently building my site using gameCMS and here is what i have so far: http://www.wiiplus.net/index.php

As you can see on the right there is a log-in box, all i am trying to do is make it so that a registered user of the forum can log-in using the same details. Once they are logged in i want the log-in box to disappear and i want it to say 'Welcome... (username)' and then underneath that 'Log out'.

I hope you understand what i mean... i think this is quite complicated so if anyone can help in any way i would be very grateful.

Thanks.
    Web Design London - Web design, SEO and web hosting!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by x-termin8or
    Hi,
    I am currently building my site using gameCMS and here is what i have so far: http://www.wiiplus.net/index.php

As you can see on the right there is a log-in box, all i am trying to do is make it so that a registered user of the forum can log-in using the same details. Once they are logged in i want the log-in box to disappear and i want it to say 'Welcome... (username)' and then underneath that 'Log out'.

I hope you understand what i mean... i think this is quite complicated so if anyone can help in any way i would be very grateful.

Thanks.
    Hey there,

Seeing that i dont have too much time, im not going to delve into the details of how you specifically implement what your looking to accomplish. The good news is that you can integrate your own login system with phpbb's.

There's a login class at phpclasses.org http://www.phpclasses.org/browse/package/1532.html that will help you out immensly. It basically does the dirty work for you.

The part that gets tricky, but isnt too hard to do, is maintianing the two databases.

First off, im assuming you already have a database with registered usernames/passwords. What you'll want to do is populate that info into phpbbs user table. NOTE: phpbb user_id value is not set to auto_increment so when you create a script to take your users and populate the phpbb users table your goign to have to make sure to set the userid value incrementally.

It also helps if you create a field in your sites user database that refrences the userid value in the phpbb table.

If you have a section of your site that allows your users to update their username or password. You want to MAKE SURE that after you've done your script validation that you update BOTH tables (your custom user table and phpbb's users table) that way your visitors will be able to login safely if they decide to go to your message board instead bypassing your site login.

I hope that gave you a little hope that it can be done. The php class for login integration does the dirty work as far as logging your users into your site and your forum. The main part you have to worry about is making sure changes in your database get reflected in the phpbb database.

take it easy