User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

starting php and mysql

hi
    today is very important day for me because finally decided to start exploring PHP. semester is over and i am here at university till early august and i am taking just one cource, i think this one month is perfect time to start with PHP which i was planning to do for a long time
    i just got from library my "PHP and MySQL Web Development" book of around 800 pages by Laura Thomson and right now i am sitting in fron of my pc asking your for some advice.
    i have a book and have a computer and have some brain but these are not enough for learning how to code, i need compilor/s, some forums where i can ask my stupid questions database,server etc for practising and experimenting if i want to learn it very good.
    can you guys please tell me
    1-what is best comiler(saying compiler i mean the program where you write code, for example DW8 is best for css, for me) for PHP(free is preferred)
    2-which forums do you advice me to visit for my questions
    3-what do i need to install to successfully practise php

well, i think thats all for now. hope to hear from you guys
    hello everyone!

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1 - Something that gives you syntax highlighting will get you a long way. I use HTMLkit - no doubt others will post their favourites

2 - You found it!

3 - Get an "all-in-one" installation of Apache/PHP/mySQL/phpAdmin. I use AppServ... there are others.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1 - Notepad++ http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...kage_id=102072
    2 - There'S nothing better than Sitepoint forums
    3 - XAMPP http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp-windows.html
    Words are weapons of Mass Destruction.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess by compiler you are meaning an IDE? I like nusphere (www.nusphere.com).

I would install the latest versions of PHP, MySQL and either run Apache or IIS. I would choose Apache myself. Just google for 'installing PHP Apacahe MySql'. Im sure you can find something.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    here's my two cents for the quickest way to get your "environment" setup so you can worry about actually learning the language.

1.) I recommend PHPDesigner 2006. Has some good syntax highlighting and bracket matching that will come in handy immensly when you're starting out. I cant tell you how many times i kept getting parse errors because i forgot to close brackets.

2.) Sitepoint is the spot for all yoru questions.

3.)Secondly, and i think most importantly. I'd bypass manually installing php, apache, and mysql. Instead download apachefriends bundle which will install and configure all 3 for you automatically. Its as simple as installing a single program. here's a link http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp-windows.html

3a.) If you really want to learn who to configure php,mysql, and apache then go ahead and download each of them seperately and find a tutoril online to help you out, but if you want to get everything setup quickly so you can start writing scripts then def download xampp.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i've read that book before and found it has both it's stengths and weaknesses. i find it really overlooks the importance of OOP and mainly focuses on building procedural scripts. OOP makes your life easier and is a definitely asset to not only know, but understand well and master.

for simplicity sake if you already have DW8 you can write php from it.

sitepoint forums is always a very prompt way to find answers, and i think it's strenghts are definitely for PHP answers. also, sitepoint.com is full of great

lastly, i would do things the old fashioned way to install things. it's the best way to learn and really doesn't take that much effort. http://www.sitepoint.com/article/php...1-installation. installation only takes a few minutes, but it's always best to build a foundation of learning i feel and get an idea how things run. please note though if you download apache, don't download apache 2.2 and it runs quite quarky i find with php and caused me some gried until i realized there are some bugs with things.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i have DW MX 2004. i was gonna use it for php editing but when i found editors that specialized for it (like syntax coloring and syntax HINTS), i kinda drop DW.

XAMPP has the LITE version which doesnt include all of the stuff... just the WAMP...

one of the downsides of all the php books i have, is that they tend to show you mixing php and html everywhere.

not until the ADVANCED books do they show templating, smarty, framework, etc...
    leo d.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wow
    was not expecting such explaining answers. you guys are very kind.

thanks for all your answers but there are some things i could not get.

is IDE different from DW or PHP Designer 2006. i have tryed php designer 2006 and i have tryed notepad++, is nusphere different from them? is DW8 an IDE?

BTW. i decided on appserv as all in one php+myql+apache to make it for me easier to install.
    hello everyone!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IDE = integrated development environment...

so i guess you'll get more answers than there are IDEs... lol...

for me, it's an editor, debugger, and ftp client as a minimum.
    leo d.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hanyways, forget the ides. i think appserv did not work. i wrote a code and tryed to run it but it did not. i even cannot open phpmyadmin index page. i donno what do to with it.
    can anyone tell me how can i check if appserv or its components are working properly?
    if they are ok, what is possible reason for me not be able to run my php pages???
    hello everyone!

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First thing to do is check that Apache is running: start>AppServ>Manual Control Server > Apache Stop ... then do the same again for Apache start.

If it starts properly, try to navigate to http://localhost/ - you should get the "The AppServ Open Project" page.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    oh ****,
    who a heck gave me this link for xamp? it is in german and i smart boy installed it...
    i want to dye when it says `velcom to apache fur windows`
    -GaryS, thank you for your answer, it was helpful.
    hello everyone!

Theoretical Physics Student bronze trophy Jake Arkinstall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ok, what is the point in using all these more complicated programs?
    1) I use notepad, oh ye faithfull notepad!
    2)SITEPOINT!
    3)WAMP is a mixture of apache, php, mySQL, SQLite Manager and phpMyAdmin
    Jake Arkinstall
    "Sometimes you don't need to reinvent the wheel;
    Sometimes its enough to make that wheel more rounded"-Molona