Hybrid View

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Netscape and horizontal scroll

Hi all,

I am not sure if this is the correct forum to post to (also posted to PHP subforum)!

I have a webpage generated by a PHP script. It contains several nested tables. When viewed on IE5, text is wrapped and no horizontal scroll bar appears. In Netscape, the scroll bar does appear however.

What is amazing though is that if I save the source code of the webpage as viewed through IE5 into a html file and then view that html file with Netscape, the webpage is presented as it should be with no scroll bar.

Has anyone ever experienced this before? Solutions include putting widths into <td...> but I would prefer the page to expand naturally in accordance to the screen resolution - width =x% is not a solution either.

Any views?

Willie

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    are you putting text boxes into the table? as NS shows those a lot bigger and therefore would widen the table?

or is it plain text..?

large images expaning it..?

is your main container table fixed or %, sometimes NS doesn't like mixtures or even % on its own?

I think that more info is needed but there are afew thoughts of mine.....
    Regular user

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is your outer TABLE set to 100%? If it is then do you have cellspacing="0"?

If you don't explicitly set cellspacing to 0 then Netscape (and IE even) will assume a value of 1. Since cellspacing affects the outside of the cell, it forces horizontal scrollbars which will show up no matter how wide you stretch the window.
    Adobe Certified Coldfusion MX 7 Developer
    Adobe Certified Advanced Coldfusion MX Developer
    My Blog (new) | My Family | My Freelance | My Recipes

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the replies.

In one <TD>...</TD>, there is a large block of text that seems to be a major contributor of the problem. It wraps in IE5 and only in Netscape the second time around as described above. The scroll bar widens to the full width of the longest line in the narrative.

If I confine it with a width, just to the point of avoiding a scroll bar, then the width of the narrative, relative to the rest of the page, is very narrow and does not look good.

Willie

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As long as there isn't a really long word which is pushing it out then it does sounds like its code problem. Can you post any code or give us a link? Otherwise try turning on all borders and checking each table is closed etc and even deleteing various parts until you find the bit which is causing the problem..

hmm not much help without code to look at

sorry

sarah
    Regular user