SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

help with ad placement

I'm having some troubles with my ad placement. I don't have much traffic yet, but still, I should be getting more than 0% click through. Could you please take a look at my ad placement and tell me what you might do different? Thanks.

www.metropetsupply.com

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy C. Ankerstjerne's Avatar
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How much is 'not much'? You can't say anything conclusive about the average CTR until you have at least a few thousand impressions.
    Christian Ankerstjerne
    <p<strong<abbr/HTML/ 4 teh win</>
    <>In Soviet Russia, website codes you!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unfortunatly a few thousand impressions will not happen any time soon. Currently I'm averaging about 200 impressions a day with 0 clickthroughs. I had only 5 clickthroughs for the month of June.

My new Dog Bed site with similar ad placement is getting 50% clickthroughs with only 20 impressions on average a day every day. Which is fantastic. I know it's like comparing apples to oranges.

I have noticed poeple stay on my site longer than my other sites, maybe they have no need to click on the ads. They find the info they are looking for.

So even though I'm not averaging thousands of impressions a day, I think I should still get more than 5 clicks for the month of June. Something must be wrong.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    0.08 % CTR seems low, especially considering that you are blending the ads. On the other hand, a 50 % CTR is way too high to be normal.
    Christian Ankerstjerne

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would recommend turning off the Advertise on this Site link. Also, try moving your tower of links at the right up so that the Ads by Goooogle is closer to the bottom of the search form... it's subtle, but may break the visitor's immediate association of the link with the following text ads, and thus get them to take a second to read the ads.

Also, do you know how your current visitors are coming into your site? (i.e. server logs, showing search terms used... links from other sites, etc). Make sure the people coming to your site are actually interested in pet supplies. If the visitor's you're getting aren't targetted then that could be why they aren't interested in your ads. Personally, I'd rather have just 1-2 people on my site that are truly interested in my topic, rather than 100 that came there by accident.

Anyhow, give those few things a try, and let me know how it goes

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would recommend turning off the Advertise on this Site link.
    Does this really have an impact?
    Christian Ankerstjerne

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't have enough thorough testing done to really know for sure, though all I can say is:

1) It "seems" to have been helpful in my case
    2) From my own perspective (which is of course skewed by the fact that I am a webmaster/marketer and know about the ads... but nonetheless, it's all I've got haha) the psychological effect of seeing the Advertise on this Site strengthens my own personal ad blindness in many cases (though this is not as true in certain cases, such as when both the Ads by Goooogle and the Advertise on this Site links are close to elements directly below them, which cause my mind to associate them less with the Google ads and more with the other elements they are closer to).
    I try to pay attention to how an ad implementation makes me "feel" (which again, is skewed by my knowledge on the subject) which has worked well for me, though maybe not for everyone.

The only way to be sure for yourself would be to test. As I mentioned in another recent thread, I personally don't think the Advertise on this Site link is really "necessary" for a potential advertiser to understand how to get their own ads on your site (i.e. they already likely know about AdWords, or at least can see that the ads are from Google.... and also, if you have a general "Advertising Info" sort of page on your site, you can inform any interested advertisers from there about how to get involved with AdWords). My point is..... the ads are meant for your visitors more than they are meant for potential advertisers to see. My focus is on the visitors.

I know this may not apply to every case, I'm just sharing what I think is right in my own scenario. I'm blessed with very good search engine ranks for the keywords my site is about, so I think most advertisers in my niche know about me... but this wouldn't be the same for everyone.

Hope this helps

Peace.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, now that you mention it, I do seem to be able to see a small drop correlating with my beginning to use the additional text (though not enough to be anything conclusive). Besides that, you have some additional good points. I'll try and turn it off - can't really hurt.
    Christian Ankerstjerne

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the tips. My incoming traffic is targeted. Most of it comes from Google search terms that are directly related. I will try turning off the extra text as well as trying new placements of my ads. Thanks.