SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

JS.Exception.Exploit --- Help!!!

Howdy all ...

Someone here at work today got the JS.Exception.Exploit ... and now they're exhibiting signs similar to that of some clients that have had us STUMPED for months!!!

After this script executed, certain types of cookies do not set. For example, a cookie set with php sits ... but one set with perl doesn't ... ONLY in IE on his machine ...

Anyone have any experience with this!?!?
    Vendor Ratings, Coupons & Specials:
    http://www.outcrier.com
    My Personal Site:
    http://www.epock.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    JS.Exception.Exploit is an exploit which allows unpatched systems to run arbitrary code if a Java applet that was programmed to take advantage of the exploit is allowed to run. In many cases, the applet may perform simple actions, such as changing your Internet Explorer home page. It can also be programmed to run code to perform a mass mailing, as in the case of VBS.Loding.A@mm.

Type: Trojan Horse

Removal instructions:

1. Run LiveUpdate to make sure that you have the most recent virus definitions.
    2. Start Norton AntiVirus (NAV), and run a full system scan. Be sure that NAV is configured to scan all files.
    3. Delete all files that are detected as JS.Exception.Exploit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Besides, this belongs in the Computer Help Desk section. Unless you are asking how to create a JS virus...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And if you are asking how to create a JS virus, look elsewhere. We're computer professionals here and I don't think many of us are interested in causing true harm to other computer users/professionals.
    Sean Killeen [LinkedIn] [Twitter] [Web]

Warning: Reality.sys corrupted. Universe halted. Reboot? (Y/N)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Disk-T ... Thank you for the reply ... however, I do not need to know how to update my virus definitions.

I am referring to a specific problem, as you can see by my post. The HTTP cookie library functions (http://www.worldwidemart.com/scripts/cookielib.shtml)have been rendered ineffective on this particular machine. Since it exhibits the same characteristics as some clients, I figured they may be in the same situation.

This is a client side-scripting EXPLOIT/BUG. Therefore I assumed that it belonged here, rather than in the "MY MODEM DOESN'T GET A DIALTONE" section. I'm sure you can concur.

goober, I may not post here all the time, but I take EXTREME OFFENSE to what you said. I'm a $#@#! computer professional, you are still in 9th grade. I did not say I GAVE someone the JS.Exception.Exploit - I said he contracted it. There inlies the difference, and I would appreciate it if you could please read my posts in their entirety. Please do not offend me, and I will take great care in not offending YOU.

This is a board for developers to share ideas as well as problems, not for hackers to exploit malicious exploits. I would appreciate to be treated as the first before assuming the latter.
    My Personal Site:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's possible the virus infected files necessary for cookies to be set, or corrupted IE somehow. You may need to re-install it.

Off-topic:
    I think you've over-reacted to what Goober said. I don't think he was specifically saying that you were trying find out how to give someone this virus, just that anyone who does want such information would not get it here.
    Rob Nolan
    Do or do not, there is no try.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah, I'm sorry. But please do not assume that I am immature simply for my grade level, because in doing this you have in turn offended me as well.

I shall take better care to read posts next time, but actually, I didn't even read the first post in it's entirety (my mistake lies therein, I suppose). I read the reply before mine and then continued/concurred with that.

I didn't mean you any offense, but don't treat me like a child because I made a mistake. I'm a "$#@#! computer professional" as well, you know.

I was simply providing the information to the benefit of the community. Sorry if it caused any problems. Even though I may not be a Mentor any longer, I feel that I owe the community things like that just to make sure people who would think about it (people other than you, I'm sure now) don't try to find out "underground" information on our forums. We don't want to attract trash here.

Again, sorry for any offense.
    Are we okay?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just got a little ripped, sorry ... it made me uncomfortable and I felt I needed to defend myself ...

goober, we're coo ... no hard feelin's ... When I was 15 I started up with computer crap ... and at 16 I worked pt for a web development company ... I know how you feel ... but it sounds like you're gettin' into much more programming than I did back then ...
    My Personal Site:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I was 15 I was into Football and girls (not necessarily in that order...). Computers were the furthest thing from my mind.

What the heck was I thinking?
    Rob Nolan
    Do or do not, there is no try.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by lieblick
    When I was 15 I started up with computer crap ...
    I've been coding since I was 12 years old, although unfortunately, as for web development opportunities, I haven't been so lucky lately.

Sorry for "ripping" you. It was more of just a quick response than one of arrogance or anger.

Now that we're all better, have you been able to solve your problem?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Goober, funny you should ask...

I didn't want to format or re-install the OS, because this is quite likely the same situation that many of our clients are in. So I was getting ready to call up the company who's popup caused the damage, and he came in and told me that everything works again.

Norton Antivirus didn't fix anything, but apparently something was changed, or undone.

*scratching head* ...

Go figure ... but now we're in the dark again with regard to the people experiencing similar problems.

I've modified my 'plate' response to ask if they have an anti-virus program and the most recent virus definitions ...
    My Personal Site:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Freak incident, perhaps? Maybe JS handled it wrong?