User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Want my left column to work in NON-IE browsers

Take a look at this link (and view it in IE):

http://majorchamp.dreamhosters.com/test/test.html

Do you think it is possible to get this to work in a NON IE browser, with respect to how the left column bar works? You may have to resize your browser to see the effect I mean.

Thanks anybody.

p.s. I am at a stage where I am willing to pay someone for the solution seriously.

Thanks

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It would really help if you mentioned exactly what the problem is, for those of us who don't have access to IE...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, well the left column (where it says session, etc...) goes BEYOND the browser window.

In IE, the height is 100% and fits perfectly even if you resize the browser window (vertically). It stretches. In Firefox, for example, it stretches below the bottom of the browser window.

SitePoint Wizard drhowarddrfine's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The problem is IE. You are using the xml prologue as your first line. IE chokes on this and goes into quirks mode. Only modern browsers handle it properly. So, potentially, this is part of that particular problem. Apparently you used IE to test your design first?

Remove that line and see where we stand.

EDIT: In addition, validate and fix your 12 html errors.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Amen, Dr.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, apparently sending IE into quirks mode is a necessary process for what is going on in the development side. Don't ask me why, because I honestly don't know the answer.

The development is in Ruby on Rails, but I have no clue as to what is goigng on in the backend that requires IE to be in quirks mode. Just at this time, it does.

Believe me, i did not test in IE first. It was in Firefox first, but I realized the process I was going for happen to work well in IE, even though the issue is taht Firefox, etc... treats 100% height differently.

I just wish I could find the solution using 100% height so that Firefox, etc... would DO what IE is doing, because that IS what I want it to do.

thanks

SitePoint Wizard drhowarddrfine's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    apparently sending IE into quirks mode is a necessary process
    So Ruby on Rails requires IE6 to behave like IE4 and the year 1998. Interesting.
    I just wish I could find the solution using 100% height so that Firefox, etc... would DO what IE is doing, because that IS what I want it to do.
    So IE doesn't handle height 100% correctly (it's a bug) and you want Firefox to act the same way. Interesting.

And, yes, I am ragging on you. You haven't fixed the errors yet either.

Busy holiday weekend and I'm just passing through so sorry I can't be more help right now. You are also using tables for layout and I've never done it that way before so I'm not sure I could help anyway.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    CSS purist huh

I am all for tableless, in fact MOST of my designs and buildouts are tableless, but sometimes the goal your trying to achieve can be handled easier (in the long run) by flipping on the table switch. In our case, we were going for a flexible layout, but had some elements in the design that when it was all said and done, felt going with a basic table for the framework made more sense then going completely tableless.

I am still using CSS to handle all presentation.

To answer a few questions:

1. No, ROR does not require IE6 to be in quirks mode. That is stupid. What I was trying to say was that from a programming side of things, we are doing something that for some reason, IE won't recognize unless it is in Quirks mode. All other browsers recognize it.

I haven't gotten to the errors, which are td/tr based errors.

Thanks.