User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

how do i display a php page in a html frameset

hi,
    I'm having trouble displaying a dynamic php page, connected to a database, within a html frameset in dreamweaver.

so far i have tested the catalogue.php and it works fine and displays the mysql entries in a dynamic table as designed.

same for the frameset. i can successfully load html pages into desired frames with no problems, except for when i try to load the catalogue.php into a frame, it just loads the php code into the fame and not the table and data as i would wish.

i don't quite know where i am going wrong as all the pages work fine on their own, so i presume it must be something to do with file formating!

it's quite possible that i have overlooked some fundamental basics as i am admittedly a complete newbie to web-design.

if anyone could offer some advice on the matter, i'd be very grateful.
    many thanks.
    sonik.

ps. i have code if you need it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Make sure your entire php code is surrounded by

<?php
    ?>

Otherwise the php parser won't be able to handle it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1. Why do you even use a frameset? With the knowledge of php and a little bit of html and css, you don't need it anymore.

2. From you're explanation I take it that you use Dreamweaver to see how your site looks like => don't use Dreamweaver to test your website, especially if you use php. Test it in some browsers, preferably Firefox, but you need to set up a server environment to test php, look into Xampp at www.apachefriends.org

3. If you are so new to php/webdesign, don't start with something as complicated and as complex as a shopping system.

4. If something is not working for you, provide always code and an online version if possible. It's rather difficult to just guess.
    Dan G
    Marketing Strategist & Consultant

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hi all,
    thanks for the fast replies.

i was just about to write a reply about how maybe i should just stick to using zencart, but i just tried testing it on a remote server as suggested in the last post and hay presto, it worked!

i dont quite understand why it didnt work on the local server unless maybe i'd got my configuration wrong.

anyway everything is working now and i can battle on to the next predicament!

thanks so much for all your support. this had been bugging me for days!

by the way, is there any reason why i shouldnt use framesets or is it just that css is easier to manipulate?

thanks again.

peace!
    SONIK

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sonikalliance
    hi all,
    thanks for the fast replies.

i was just about to write a reply about how maybe i should just stick to using zencart, but i just tried testing it on a remote server as suggested in the last post and hay presto, it worked!

(1) i dont quite understand why it didnt work on the local server unless maybe i'd got my configuration wrong.

anyway everything is working now and i can battle on to the next predicament!

thanks so much for all your support. this had been bugging me for days!

(2) by the way, is there any reason why i shouldnt use framesets or is it just that css is easier to manipulate?

thanks again.

peace!
    SONIK
    1. Your local test environment might be set up with php 5 but your code doesn't work with php 5?

2. Framesets are bad, really bad for many various reasons, including:
    1. bad for Search Engine Optimization
    2. poor accessibility (you can get halfway good accessible framesets with some hassle)
    3. Bookmarking of single pages isn't possible without much hassle
    4. Framesets are a thing of the past...
    Dan G
    Marketing Strategist & Consultant