SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Physical vs. Virtual Terminals

I'm building an eCommerce site, and am probably going to use Charge.com. One thing my client would like to do is process physical orders online. The volume will be low, so the other option is to get a physical terminal and have orders emailed .

Charge.com is 25.00 a month for the gateway fee and statement fee. They charge another 20 a month if you want to lease the virtual terminal. Now my eCommerce software, RedHat Interchange allows you to manually enter orders. Could this be used without paying to lease the virtual terminal?

My other question is the other extreme. If she gets only a physical terminal, can she process her online orders that way. Discount rates are usually lower for physical stores, but what are the requirements as far as order percentage goes.

Thanks,
    Cameron

Payment Acceptance Expert jconley2's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Cameron,

I would get real-time processing with virtual terminal. The real-time will take care of web orders automatically and you can use the virtual brower-based terminal for manually entering in credit card orders received via phone.

Using a swipe terminal for processing Internet transactions is not the best way to go. Plus it costs more and you'll get caught up in a lease no doubt. (Steer clear of leases at all costs). The only way to take advantage of lower discount rates and transactions fees is to be able to swipe the customers card through the swipe terminal. Without being able to swipe the card you will pay the same rates as would those using a real-time processing solution.

Charge.com is a good company. Watch out for cancellation fees, read the contract closely and watch that they don't add on "hidden fees".

Another company to look into is ECHO They charge $99 for setup and $10/month. Discount rate 2.49% and $0.30 per transaction fee. Their real-time service and virtual terminal are separate but you can get both of them for $99 plus $10/month. You aren't charged twice for both solutions.

To your success,

Jim Conley II
    Your Payment Acceptance Expert
    Get FREE copy of "Top 3 Merchant Account Pitfalls REVEALED" -
    http://www.discount-merchant-account.com
    Touch-Tone Credit Card Processing - $39 setup & $5/month

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd like to get out of the virtual terminal cost if possible. As I said, Interchange has the ability to enter orders manually. Wouldn't this eliminate the need for paying charge.com for their virtual terminal software?

I also agree that Echo is cheaper, however I want to stick with Authorize.net because Interchange has built in support for them. I don't believe they have Echo support.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not familiar with your ecommerce software but if it is programmable to different gateways you should be able to set it up to work with Charge.com and thus avoid the VT fee.
    Ocean View Host - Affordable web hosting plans for any business.
    Modern Technology, Old Fashioned Value & Service!
    U.S. Merchant Services - Reliable merchant account services for all business!
    Quality People Providing A Quality Service!