User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lost my programs in windows 2000!

Hey All,

To make a long story short, I was installing mysql on Windows 2000 Professional and I got to a point where I had to run C:\mysql\bin> mysqld-nt -install, but received the error:

"This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an association in the Folder Options control panel."

Well, after tinkering in the folder options box (without knowingly changing anything), I closed out and restarted only to find that all my program files had lost their association with the program (all icons are blank and double-clicking them doesn't do anything). The only exception to this is IE probably due to its integration with windows.

Can anybody tell me what I did and what I can do to fix it? I'm pretty sure the problem happened in the folder options control panel under file types.

If at all possible I'd like to avoid reinstalling windows as I don't have a disk (this computer is one of those ones a corporation too big for its own good was throwing out).

Thanks.

Whistler BC originally from Guelph Ontario
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well if you haven't alreayd fixed it I looked into the problem a bit more.

Reboot and when the dos status bar pops up hit f8 (should offer you an series of options)

The last option I believe is restore to previous working copy or something like that. That should restore you to a proper working version of 2000. You may have to reinstall anything from the past short while
    Maelstrom Personal - Apparition Visions
    Development - PhP || Mysql || Zend || Devshed
    Unix - FreeBSD || FreeBsdForums || Man Pages
    They made me a sitepoint Mentor - Feel free to PM me or Email me and I will see if I can help.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Maelstrom. I'll check it out!!

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Maelstrom,

I'm at work right now so I can't try your suggestion, but do you know off hand how to restore to a previous version in Windows 2000? I didn't know you could do that (I thought it was just an option in the new XP).

Thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by elementality
    Hey Maelstrom,

I'm at work right now so I can't try your suggestion, but do you know off hand how to restore to a previous version in Windows 2000? I didn't know you could do that (I thought it was just an option in the new XP).

Thanks.
    No all windows has some sort of recovery just some work better than others...

First reboot. A black dos-like screen will appear with a bar running along the bottom. Press F8. You will have several menu options available to you. There should be one that says something like recover to previous working state or something like that.

That should take you back in time.
    They made me a sitepoint Mentor - Feel free to PM me or Email me and I will see if I can help.

Making a better wheel silver trophy DR_LaRRY_PEpPeR's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the exact option is, i believe, "Last known good configuration." i hope that can fix your problem... but i don't know... good luck!
    - Matt ** Ignore old signature for now... **
    Dr.BB - Highly optimized to be 2-3x faster than the "Big 3."
    "Do not enclose numeric values in quotes -- that is very non-standard and will only work on MySQL." - MattR

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by DR_LaRRY_PEpPeR
    the exact option is, i believe, "Last known good configuration." i hope that can fix your problem... but i don't know... good luck!
    Thanx I always forget exact wording of windows prompts. They keep changing them between versions. Especially how they do it

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey All,

Thanks for the help. I'm quite a windows newbie having worked on macs for most of my life.

I tried the restoring to a previous version, but since I didn't know about that feature before this, there was no good version to convert back to.

However, I managed to fix the problem. Under folder options and file types you select new extension, type .exe, and then go to advanced and look for the application icon. Seems to work fine now. After a little norton disk doctor work everything is back to normal. But now I'm back to the same problem as before. Oh well, I'll try posting in the php/mysql forum for that.

Thanks again