User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Angry Lost all my songs - HD corrupted!

I'll make this short.

I was using my PC, and out of the blue on one day it would not load XP. I got a BSOD saying that the XP installation was damaged or corrupted. When I put in my recovery CD (provided by my computer maker), and proceeded with reinstalling XP, I formatted an E partition (which came out of nowhere, all my stuff was on a C partition) and proceeded to install XP on this E partition.

The problem is, as I did this a few weeks ago, I cannot remember if I formatted the C drive or not. I tried to install XP on the C Drive, but it said something about the XP installation or the drive being too damaged (works fine now - getting a new PC though).

Is there any software to recover files (such as my music) from a damaged/corrupted HD? And is there software to do the same with a formatted HD? When I search on google there is software that says this can be done but I am not sure (might just be a marketing trick to get me to try the software). I don't want to buy software and then find out it's useless.

Thanks!

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy rushiku's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It's probably a total loss.

Given that the drive was formatted and has (presumably) been used for a few weeks, any remnants of your files have long since been destroyed.

Protect yourself in the future:
    1) backup your data.
    2) never format a drive without knowing for sure what you are formatting.
    3) backup your data
    4) If you are unsure what will happen when you format the drive or want to remove all possibility of further destroying your data, buy a new drive and reinstall the OS on that, then go about recovering your files from the other drive. The cost of this drive will always be less than the sinking feeling that overcomes you when you realize you've just destroyed all your precious, non-replaceable, possibly expensive, data.
    5) Lastly - backup your data.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Crazybanana's Avatar
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I have been using GetDataBack (ntfs) for quite some time. of course it cant restore everything but it has helped me many times. last time I used it I was able to recover 140GB of data from one of my hd's which suddenly died.
    of course the disc was still spinning, but I couldnt get into it anymore. just plugged it into one of my other pc's as a slave and started GetDataBack and voila..

but I havnt been that lucky every time I have used it, many times it could only find the folders and not the files.. guess nothing is perfect

but no doubt about it, its the best I have tried so far
    Who's to doom when the judge himself is dragged before the bar

Home | Web | Facebook

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you tried Knoppix? It doesn't sound like you hard drive is bad just that windows screwed up. you can either use ftp in knoppix or just transfer the files in knoppix to another windows computer on your network

http://www.knoppix.org/