SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try a bit of text beside the file indicating that the user "right clicks the link and selects save target as" so it saves the file to their disk and doesn't open in Word.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On the server which houses my site I have placed a Microsoft Word file which can be downloaded by visitors. Currently I have a hypertext link which is linked to the file. Now when the visitor clicks on the link, the file opens in Microsoft Word under the browser. Is there a way to force the file to pull up the download dialog box instead of being opened by Word?

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not in straight HTML... That is configurable by the user. If they have a valid viewer for the document type, in this case either MS-Word or WordPad then it will open the document unless the user has it set to "Always Ask before Opening". You might find a solution using a CGI script or some other server-side means that will prevent this. Your other option is to just archive the file using a program like Winzip. Not only will the majority of users then download the file with a simple click but you will save both harddrive space and bandwidth which are a premium to any web developer.

------------------
    Wayne Luke
    Internet Media Provider

RAGE
    SitePoint Community Guest
    well u could use a php/cgp/asp , etc, a script to change the header information so the browser thinks its some other tpe of file and gives u a save option ...

but thats not childs play unless u know some scripting languages