SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've gotten great advice here so far, so here goes. I've been studying HTML in a book and am ready to build a site. I thought it would be cool to pick a website & try to reproduce it without looking at its sourcecode. Keeping in mind that I don't know anything but HTML - no Javascript, no server-side scripting. The trick is choosing a site that would be challenging, while not being way over my head.
    So I am asking those with more experience to recommend a site. As always, I am open to any kind of advice anyone has to offer.

Thanks for all the help,

greg norris - Love this forum!

------------------
    Love this forum!
    greg norris

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a site for you... It is sort of a template that I put together for a friend. It was suposed to get hooked up to server-side scripting, but never got around to doing it.

Front page: http://www.christian.reimer.com/

Search page: http://www.christian.reimer.com/search.html

From the search page you can click on any of the pictures to simulate a buying situation.

I put the above pages together in a day and I think it is a pretty good "standard looking" site. So, feel free to copy away...

BTW, the logo(!?!) was not my design

Christian

------------------
    Axie automatically performs free, customizable searches for new
    websites and delivers the links to members by personalized email. http://www.axie.com/

[This message has been edited by ChrRmr (edited February 06, 2000).]

Ng Soon Seng
    SitePoint Community Guest
    Hi,
    You have to learn to do it yourself, then only will you gain more experience and be proud and happy that you have done a great job even if it's a one page.

I still remember my experience when I had my first homepage on the net. It was a joy looking at my own work. It was simple and horrible as some of my friends commented.

Regards,
    NSS http://www.unitronics.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agreed- I always think it's better to do it yourself from scratch than copy other people's work. I assume you weren't actually going to use the site for anything, just educational purposes (anything else would be copyright infringement), but the designing phase is one of the best parts of building a web site. However, when looking for something to copy, if you do decide to take that route, I advise you to go for something simple... You might want to take a look at www.freewebtemplates.com and see if you can reproduce any of their templates when given the graphics. Good luck!

Brian

------------------
    Web Design - Hosting - Promotion - Programming
    InfoStar Web Design - Click Here!

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree that you should build your own site with hard work, sweat and having nightmares about mis-aligned images. But I also know you need to get inspiration somewhere. If you just surf the net and look at sites you can write down features that fit in with your goals or do screen prints and make notes on the printed pages (which is what I do). Then you use this to inspire your own work. When looking for this type of inspiration never look at the source code. Makes it that much more of a challenge.

If you want to see a large group of inspiring websites in one place then check out www.coolhomepages.com

------------------
    Wayne Luke
    Internet Media Provider