Hybrid View

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dreamweaver MX2004 design view misleading

Hi Folks,

Thanks to folks in this forum and Paul O'B tutorial, I was able to have 2 equal length columns with no 2-column width header or footer.

When I check my work in the design view of Dreamweaver MX 2004, the page looks like scrambled eggs. Yet when I check across browsers with BrowserCam, only older versions of IE (such as IE 5 for Mac, which I have decided do not need to be supported) may have the divs out of position but still readable.

Just wanted to know if this has happened to anyone else and should I be worried?

Thanks.
    VRM

SitePoint Author silver trophybronze trophy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    DW MX2004 has extremely poor CSS support, especially for floats. Never rely on it. Always test in real browsers.

Sometimes DW's display is so messed up that you can't even edit in design mode. You can the use a 'Design-Time Style Sheet' which is only applied when editing in DW. In extreme cases you may even have to disable your real style sheet when designing (also possible).
    Birnam wood is come to Dunsinane

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks!

I just needed to know that DW had the problem.

I find that I need to code in the split view, but never just in the design view. I find using the code view quicker and more controllable, but the design view usually gives me an indication that I am going in the right direction.

Sincerely,
    VRM

SitePoint Author silver trophybronze trophy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I never use design view myself, because – ironically – I can't see what I'm doing. Most of our publishers always use design view, though, which is why I'm very aware of DW's shortcomings when it comes to rendering CSS.
    Birnam wood is come to Dunsinane