SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Full download of Real Media files

Can I download a Real Media file, like videos, to my computer, so that I can watch them over again, offline, instead of rebuff and all that crap?
    Why is duck?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, you can buy Real Player Pro. It has an option to record streaming videos (but only if the video allow this option). But you still have to watch the entire video, and need a good internet connection to record it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The main idea behind Real Media files is to allow people to post audio and video on the Internet without you being able to copy the data. That's why nothing is saved when you watch a Real Media video, as opposed to a QuickTime video.

As Paul mentionned, Real Player Pro will allow you to save the files if the authors wish that you can, but they rarely do for the above reasons.

If you want to get around this, there are programs that will record the video from Real Player while it is playing it, however this is not entirely legal (or at least I seriously doubt that it is).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was afraid of that.
    Thank you for the information.
    Why is duck?

Making a better wheel silver trophy DR_LaRRY_PEpPeR's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if you want to record audio, try Total Recorder. we use it all the time, it's awesome! they have mentioned that it may have the ability to record video in the future.

as far as the legality -- i don't think it's a big deal. you're playing the content on your system, and i think you should be able to do anything you want with it, including saving it. it's no different than using a tape-recorder or VCR, really.
    - Matt ** Ignore old signature for now... **
    Dr.BB - Highly optimized to be 2-3x faster than the "Big 3."
    "Do not enclose numeric values in quotes -- that is very non-standard and will only work on MySQL." - MattR