Thread: Mac ie5 on osx

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mac ie5 on osx

Hi There,
    I know that many people consider this browser redundant, especially as its been decomissioned by Microsoft but....

I have a drop down menu I can't seem to get to work properly on this browser.
    Is it possible.

Basically the site, www.williamscott.org , uses floats left and right nested. The menu is a drupal module called Nice Menus. It uses CSS, and Javascript.

The problem is that 1) It seems to try and push down the content below, as if z-index was not working. Ie mac does support z-index?
    2) It when you rollover content the next level overlaps the first level instead of appearing just beneath it.

Any help would be great, especially before I go bald from scratching my head.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    just checking the browser now...have you thought of changing the menu type, to something without using javascript??

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Browser CAm does not allow me to find out whats wrong..when viewing remotely i cannot even see the menu...change the menu to a full css html version

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your reply enormousrodent,

Well, It seemed that even Eric Meyers CCC only drop down menu was failing in IE5 mac osx.

can you suggest any robust CSS menus which would work in that browser as well as other good recent browsers?

Do you think that it is the Javascript causing the problem then?

arcX

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not a tech expert, so I can't really contribute meaningfully to that side of things. But I am a Mac user, and I can quite honestly say that it's not only Microsoft that considers IE5/Mac redundant - it's everyone who's tried to use it for more than five minutes. The JavaScript and CSS rendering suck to high heaven. I honestly wouldn't bother - I don't know anyone who uses it, it's so awful. Most Macheads use Firefox or Safari. Safari's the default browser on OSX - anyone who is using IE is being wilfully perverse.

Or at least I think so
    Check out my copywriting blog at www.billhilton.biz!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Mac IE5 is six years old. Nobody I know uses it; every Mac user I know has moved on to Safari or Firefox.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I'd like to be able to agree 100%, but there are still users using os9 who seem to still be using it.

I had a design agency coming back to me about a website because of how it looked in Ie Mac.

I think that quite a few designers aim for it to at lest show something be it ugly, but if the navigation is not working then its kind of sad. However I will not spend too much time on it.

arcX

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arcima1
    Yeah, I'd like to be able to agree 100%, but there are still users using os9 who seem to still be using it.

I had a design agency coming back to me about a website because of how it looked in Ie Mac.
    I'd point them to this then. Microsoft doesn't even support that browser anymore.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice one, Vinnie - I'm going to bookmark that page
    Check out my copywriting blog at www.billhilton.biz!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arcima1
    * I think that quite a few designers aim for it to at lest show something be it ugly, but if the navigation is not working then its kind of sad. However I will not spend too much time on it.

arcX

It's better to hide styles from it completely rather than leaving a broken (therefore, potentially un-usable) design in place. If you've done a decent job on the mark-up, the content will be perfectly accessible to it's users.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks Egor, thats why I was asking my question in the first place.