SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mass HTML editor

Is there such a thing as a mass HTML editor? That, is, a program that will edit the HTML on several hundred pages at once? There must be such a system, because look at Yahoo! They change their default home page from the new layout to the old layout several times a week(I don't know why), and yet on every page of their presumably several thousand page site points to the right home page everytime they change it.

Carpe Diem = Fish of the Day fisherboy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't know. I use an editor with an excellent Find/Replace function. or are they just changing the Style Sheet?

Cheers
    fisherboy
    Web Site Design

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fisherboy
    or are they just changing the Style Sheet?

Cheers
    I guess that's possible. Is there such as thing as specifying a URI in the style sheet. Maybre something like this?:

a:yahoo!:active
    {
    url(http://yahoo.com=php119;
    text-decoartion:none;
    }

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy Tyssen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by musicman77
    There must be such a system, because look at Yahoo! They change their default home page from the new layout to the old layout several times a week (I don't know why), and yet on every page of their presumably several thousand page site points to the right home page everytime they change it.
    They probably use includes - edit a single file and the changes take effect sitewide.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is there such a thing as a mass HTML editor? That, is, a program that will edit the HTML on several hundred pages at once? There must be such a system, because look at Yahoo! They change their default home page from the new layout to the old layout several times a week(I don't know why), and yet on every page of their presumably several thousand page site points to the right home page everytime they change it.
    I guess that you are after such a programme so I would recommend you to look into a Content Management System.

A good one separates layout, content and code perfectly - Joomla/Mambo eg doesn't separate those three "layers" but other opensource CMS do, eg Typo3. They come normally with a good enough template system that lets you change the template in a matter of one or two clicks - Joomla/Mambo comes with a template system but I find it rather bad.

Typo3 is a rather good CMS but quite demanding, many people seem to love Joomla/Mambo (basically the same but now going into different directions) - they have a good user interface and are easy to administer for none techies but the code is still a mess. I personally prefer Drupal and Wordpress for simple blogs.
    Dan G
    Marketing Strategist & Consultant

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by c2uk
    I guess that you are after such a programme so I would recommend you to look into a Content Management System.

A good one separates layout, content and code perfectly - Joomla/Mambo eg doesn't separate those three "layers" but other opensource CMS do, eg Typo3. They come normally with a good enough template system that lets you change the template in a matter of one or two clicks - Joomla/Mambo comes with a template system but I find it rather bad.

Typo3 is a rather good CMS but quite demanding, many people seem to love Joomla/Mambo (basically the same but now going into different directions) - they have a good user interface and are easy to administer for none techies but the code is still a mess. I personally prefer Drupal and Wordpress for simple blogs.
    Is Typo3 a CMS for HTML?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe they wrote their own script for this? Don't know in what language, though.
    David A. -- Hand coder
    Get Firefox

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is Typo3 a CMS for HTML?
    Typo3 is a Web CMS or database CMS. You create a template and in the backend (admin) you create content, define user roles, manage everything.

But maybe you need something simpler. Look at www.opensourcecms.com for Portals (CMS), they have many CMS available to test. Look through that and try out a few, maybe Mambo/Joomla first (almost the same at this stage of their development, I would go with Joomla, though).
    Dan G
    Marketing Strategist & Consultant

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Back to the original question as to whether or not there is a text editor than can make changes across multiple files at once...the answer is yes. Whether you'd want to handle it this way... well that's another post.

Anyway, NoteTab Pro will do this. I don't have experience with the free version but you might want to check them out. Site is notetab.com.

hth