SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Site Review Request: Course-Notes.Org

I had made a post on Sitepoint a few days ago regarding PR and then Chris (aspen) came through and ripped my site apart and I love him for it haha. So that got me thinking, how else could I improve my site? I have been told my navigation is hard for the first user- but I cant understand why. With that said, could you guys tell me how long it takes to find the Chapter 13 Outline for US History.

A few things I'm going to incorporate when I introduce the new version of the site is a strictly CSS, fluid layout to open up more area for the content so it isnt so cramped. I'm also thinking about using some more vibrant/lively colors. Take a look at http://demotemplates.joomlashack.com/voodoo/index.php (color schemes #1,3 and 6) for an idea.

I also want to incorporate some ways to draw users into the forums from the homepage. Maybe a latest forum topics module? I've found that so many of my users just use the content on the site which is perfectly fine, but they would benefit greatly from the forum where they can get help from other users.

So go ahead- rip it apart- dont hold anything back, even the smallest things

Thanks,
    -Chris
    Course-Notes.Org

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To make your navigation easier you may want it to open up in levels instead... I usually glance at the navigation and if the top changes glance at it again.. I don't check the lower part to see if it changes each link i click...

You should also refer to outlines as Chapter Outlines, because they are by chapters...

I would do something like this for the nav (pardon my ex)
    -----------
    - Home
    - US History
    - Euro History
    - yada yada
    -----------

Then when you click on US history:

-----------
    - Home
    - US History
    -- Outline
    -- Review Topics
    -- Vocab
    -- yada yada
    - Euro History
    - etc...
    ------------

Where the menu actually opens up... That will be easier to follow. Also try Bringing out the headers and other text which is important... That helps users navigate.

Good luck,

Dastuff
    • Follow the dancing banana

Visit docquesting.com docquesting's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ditch the boxes under the header they distract from "where is the menu". Perhaps try using those same colors to try and bring out the menu more.

It depends on what you want to focus on. If the forum as you mentioned go ahead and place the latest threads somewhere on home page along with the related content write up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://demotemplates.joomlashack.com/voodoo/index.php

These colors and backgrounds all look good. I would definetly use this color scheme.

Your site needs a good color scheme.
    www.ezwebbuddy.com
    Hire a web buddy today!
    General web site help

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the great critiques guys- esp. DaStuff

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi. site looks very nice. took a while to load though. I have resisted looking at other posts. I just clicked US history link and now im looking for chapter 13 like you requested and I have no idea. Guess Im dumb.
    good luck!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So are you saying its easy to navigate?