User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Webmaster Site of the Day

http://www.webmastersiteoftheday.com

This is my new webmaster resource site. The main goal of the site is to help new to intermediate webmasters find resources on the web that are superior and can include scripts, programs, and websites.

I was looking for opinions on overall site content and design as well as minor site design changes.

http://www.webmastersiteoftheday.com

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I noticed nobody has made a review of this site yet so thought I'd give it a shot (bear in mind I am no design expert :-) )

The first thing I found was that everything seemed "out-of-line" if that makes sense. The header seemed to just be stuck on the left with nothing either site to help it stand out, the box on the right under website news seemed to look different to your menu bar on the left and maybe things would look more uniform overall if they had the same background colours.

Also, I didn't really like the "Webmaster Site of the Day" box in the middle - I don't know what it is, but it just doesn't look visually appealing.

On the plus side, I like the navigation, although maybe each section should be seperated a bit more?

Sorry - all that sounds like I'm completely slating your website (hopefully you'll understand I'm just giving my opionion lol )

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The site idea is very interesting, and if done right, can become a very good resource for webmasters. However, there are some suggestions I can give you.

For one, everything seems a little bit too cramped up, very hard to get the jist of everything since it feels like everything is overlapping. If I were you, I would create some space between the middle column and the side column (like 5 pixels is fine). The same for the sections on the right column, like between Main Menu and Login Form, create some space between the dark blue headings.

Also, I would also make it clear where the News actually starts in the center column. Create like a "News" heading before the Jooma.com article, and create some space between the top box.
    Strategic Command Center

"What's a small napoleon and where would i find one"

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank-you for your replies, unfortunately I do have to work today so I wont beable to do to many of your suggestions today, but I did add a title to the "news" section which actually seems to help a lot, also I tried some cellspacing on the middle section, not sure if you can even tell but we'll see.

Lincoln bill i'm not really sure how to fix my "out-of-line" problem but the colors do seem different with website news and the menu I'll need to look into that, they were supposed to have the same color and I porbably just made a mistake.

Thanks again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks better. I notice the padding, but I think you need a bit more, including between the Featured site and the box on the top.
    Strategic Command Center

"What's a small napoleon and where would i find one"

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just thought I'd give a little update, The two different sides of the front page, are in fact the same color, they look different I know but they are both #d4d4d4 and nothing I can do there.

Also I tried adding a bit more space between the intro and news sections which I think seperates it a bit better.

Also when you hit read more or choose an article to read I think the right side looks a lot better as now on the right side I have added "recent additions" and a "common articles section" that help fill in the right side so that side isn't so empty.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haved viewed on IE and the page on top i mean header is not fitting large screens.It should actually fill the header.Use a background image instead.it will be nice.

About the logo its just simple and neat.The text goes wide you can make shrink or smaller the text.

The footer need some difference it merges with body.But that is optional.

At first look it gives some professional feel.
    good luck BTW

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you could get this looking great. But at the moment, my personal opinion is that the color scheme is quite boring, it just looks too corporate. Also, im not sure what some of those pictures are of??? I wouldnt use photos unless there is a reason to.
    I think you should look at getting the logo redesigned.

I feel the center box underneath the header definately needs padding.
    Overall I think the content and structure of the site is great, but there are many things you could do that would drastically improve the overall design.

Anyway thats my 5 cents. Good luck with your website. I will definately check it out again.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know the banner isn't the best but the truth be told, I'm just not very good at photoshop. Maybe something will hit me eventually and I'll be able to make one.

With the other "dull" colors I'm thinking of making the gray and the blue a bit lighter to see what that can do, not much just a tad though.

EDIT: I kind of played around with the colors, tell me what you think

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

For me it looks scattered.
    The left column is too "busy"
    The right column is not necessary
    The blue horizontal lines localed below the "Main menu" level are quite distracting.
    Text size is rather small - make it resizible. Lets the visitor select its size.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I want to repeat the things said in the review above mine. The tables are very wide and the information appears scattered.

The colors are very bland, and many of the greys are not the same shade of grey when they should be. A few of the images Backgrounds are a darker grey compared to the grey in the tables.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry for bringing my topic back up

But due to the overwhelming hatred of my template, I chose to pick a different one and see how that went and I would like your opinion on it without the bias of my previous template if you have already seen it.