13 52.00%
  • Other

0 0%
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Terroist attack or Accident??

just wonder what yall think if it was another terrorist attack or an accident.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm praying for an accident. I don't want to be attacked again

besides, I am flying out for Christmas to visit my inlaws :/
    --There's my 1.5 cents, now where is my change!?!?

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm hoping it was an accident, but from what I've heard on TV already, it seems that it may suggest other. Maybe not terrorism directly on the plane itself, but possibly some tinkering with the plane before it took off.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I too think that it should be an accident.
    President declines tat it can't be easily taken for granted without proper investigation
    Hope that it results in an accident.
    Also whatever it may be but it is said that peole in American who were under terror are now even more frightened.

Former Staff Member silver trophy Adam P.'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I voted accident. At least that's what I hope it was. My sister and father are stuck in New York right now (hopefully they'll be home tomorrow) and my mother is in Florida right now. I hope that they all make it home safely (they all have to fly).
    SPF Mentor/Advisor 2001-2003
    SPF Designer of the Year 2002
    SPF Graphic Designer of the Year 2003
    AdamPolselli.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i think it is quite obviously an accident... they have happned pre 911 and im sure they will continue to happen, not every plane that falls from the skies is a terrorist attack.

Prolific Blogger silver trophy Technosailor's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    definitely an accident. Crashing into a residential neighborhood doesn't seem too much like terrorism. It doesn't make sense. It seems it's an accident. Unfortunate accident, but an accident nonetheless!

Sketch
    Aaron Brazell
    Technosailor

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think an Accident..

Please keep in mind though, terrorism isn't always crashing planes into building. Before 9/11, Stuff like this didn't happen.

It could have been a bomb or a terrorist attack gone bad. From the recent reports, it seems to be an accident though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I voted accident; all evidence up to this point points to it being an accident - just at a bad time and in a bad place. Sure, we all want to connect the dots, but there were no suspicious passengers, no apparent struggle onboard, and the crash was in a way that looked like the pilots wanted to avoid damaging buildings as much as possible (i.e. they crashed more vertically than horizontally). Plus, reports are saying that they tried to empty as much of the fuel as possible before crashing.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah it's an accident. But one accident of this size is too many accidents for the people of NY.

It's one pretty screwed up accident and a lot of NYers are going to be really mad right now, especially after the work that has been done post-S11 to make airplane travel safer.
    Last edited by mmj; Nov 12, 2001 at 22:04.
    [mmj] My magic jigsaw
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The Bit Depth BlogTwitterContact me
    Neon Javascript FrameworkJokesAndroid stuff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Iím going to have to be the only dissenter so far. I, personally, think that it was an attack, but not a highjacking. Lets look at the facts as I know them, though, admittedly, Iíve havenít seen much on it in a few hours.

∙ Debris field is over a large area, indicating an in-flight explosion.

∙ This plain is designed to fly safely with only one engine (as all two engine plains are supposed to).

∙ Occurs two months and one day after 9/11(circumstantial, of course).

∙ No call for help was made, indicating that either there wasnít enough time to call for help (likely), or that communications were dead. Most mechanical problems would likely signal and alarm of some sort.

∙ Al Qeada quote: ďPlains will continue to fall from the skyĒ (or something to that effect).

∙ Plain landed vertically, indicating that the pilot has little to no control of the plainís attitude.

∙ Plain just had a maintenance checkup yesterday.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it was a terrorist attack but it has some other intention. May be it was just to pull back US. economy and (an attempt to) ruin the efforts of the past 2 months and a day. If Osama wasn't behind the 9/11 attacks, he MUST have been behind this one.

OR

May be those people who were responsible for 9/11 attack (I am still not convinced it actually was Osama), made this attempt to justify the bombing on afghanistan.

Let's see and hope it was an accident. But whatever it was, it placed a bad impact on the aero-industry.
    TinyPlanet.org
    Discuss and Debate World Events, Politics and Religion.
    Interact and Share your Views with People around the Globe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Ian Glass

∙ Plain landed vertically, indicating that the pilot has little to no control of the plainís attitude.
    this is actually something that leads them to beleive that it was a mechanical malfunction, as crashing a plane vertically will cause less damage (therfore potentially saving more lives) if it hits the ground vertically as opposed to horizontaly, were momentum will potentially let the plane take out a) more people b) more houses.

so i look at this as a pilot saying "were dead, lets try to minimise it for those on the ground"

also look at the wreckage of the plane, it was on a road, a terrorist would have atleast gone for a house.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by iTec
    also look at the wreckage of the plane, it was on a road, a terrorist would have atleast gone for a house.
    It crashed in a residential neighborhood did it not? How precise could a terrorist make a pilot crash his plane?

If it was terrorism, they succeeded. Again :/
    --There's my 1.5 cents, now where is my change!?!?

Prolific Blogger silver trophy Technosailor's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They recovered the voice data recorder today. It was definitely an accident.

Sketch
    Aaron Brazell
    Technosailor

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy TheOriginalH's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I personally hope it was an accident - but reports have not yet concluded it was an accident, the voice recorder didn't provide any help at all. They are apparently hoping that the flight recorder (when found) will be more helpfull.
    ~The Artist Latterly Known as Crazy Hamster~
    922ee590a26bd62eb9b33cf2877a00df
    Currently delving into Django, GIT & CentOS

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whether the cause of the crash turns out to be mechanical malfunction or sabotage, the public's peace of mind about air safely has suffered a severe blow.

If it's determined to be mechanical, we now have one more dimension of air safety to worry about. In my opinion, the whole issue of air safety needs to be reexamined.

Along those same lines, I think the way the House of Representatives is handling the whole air safety issue, which is STILL stalled, is deplorable.

The main issue under debate is whether to continue with using an outside contractor for baggage checking with Federal oversight or whether to make baggage checkers Federal employees. As it stands now, using an outside contractor, these employees are paid minimum wages with literally no benefits. There is poor training and high workforce turnover. Real background checks are a joke. These people work for the contractor whose sole purpose is to make a profit.

I can't believe that they haven't already put into action a plan to make baggage handlers Federal employees, expecially after the Senate voted unanimously to do so!

Some of the Representatives are so out of touch with reality. They are so afraid of forming another Federal agency that they are forgetting that the safety of American citizens IS the government's responsibility. I can only hope they can live with their consciences if another attack occurs.

As I think back over the times when I have flown, prior to September 11th, I find it amazing to remember the lack of safety that I have observed. Heavy jewelry would beep going through a metal detector at one airport and not at another. Only random purse or carry-on baggage checks. Sending luggage ahead without a passenger. No screening of checked baggage. It goes on and on.

These holes in airline safety are going to have to be plugged before the public feels safe flying again.

End of rant. Sorry for straying off topic.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy TheOriginalH's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I heard a radio debate today where a "anti-terrorism expert" said the crash bore all the hallmarks of a ground to air missile attack. He pointed to precedent in Rhodesia (now Zimbabwe). I think his opinion can be taken less than completely seriously bearing in mind his occupation (a little biased), but he did point out (worryingly) that such attacks are not prevented by all the baggage/check in security in the world.

Damn, still planning of flying to 'dam on Wed though.
    ~The Artist Latterly Known as Crazy Hamster~
    922ee590a26bd62eb9b33cf2877a00df
    Currently delving into Django, GIT & CentOS

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Toh,

Here's wishing you a safe flight.

I see no need to speculate at this point what caused the crash. It would be my guess that they will rule sabotage in or out pretty quickly. Note, that's only a guess.

Note, that I think ALL aspects of airline security should be reexamined. That includes baggage handling, screening, check-in, airplane safety and security.

Guess the thing that really concerns me is how to get my daughter home for Christmas, flying out of New York. I have never felt this way about flying before.

I think if it wasn't New York, I wouldn't be as worried.

Have given serious thought to a 13 hour drive or AmTrack instead of flying.

I know. No need to say it. I'm just an overly concerned Mother! I'll get over it.
    Last edited by allie; Nov 13, 2001 at 17:08.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    accident.. i guess..
    all about knives? what would i know about em? oh well.. whatever!
    I'm a certified Ninjai fanatic