Thread: AOL on XP

Gone!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

AOL on XP

Hi there,

I have heard that AOL 6 will work but not brilliantly on XP and that AOL 7 has full compatiblity with it.

I am planing to install XP but being living in the UK I havent got access to AOL 7 as it is not available yet as far as I know.

Is anyone running AOL 6 on XP? If so are you having any problems? Also does anyone know when AOL 7 will be available for on UK release?

Thanks, Glen

[additional]
    also if you select the clean install option is this a way of formatting your hard drive without having the bother of actually doing before you install a new OS?
    [/additional]

Gone!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmmm, I have looked on various articles and apparantly there was an agreement that the AOL 6 Client would be bundled with XP anyway?

Anyone know anything, I want to install it when I get home from work but dont want to if it means I cant use AOL to connect? Please

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How come you're in such a hurry to jump on the XP bandwagon? Do you have trouble with your current Windoze installation or do you just like being on the bleeding edge?
    Dave

will code HTML for food Michel V's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm running AOL 6 on XP just fine. The program asked me to download a special version of it, specially tuned for XP, though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by glenplake
    Hmmmm, I have looked on various articles and apparantly there was an agreement that the AOL 6 Client would be bundled with XP anyway?
    Whatchu smokin? WHy would MS place a competitors program on WIndows? naw, they would bundle it with MSN before AOL

Dunno about compatibility. Its kinda a wait-and-see when it comes to XP
    --There's my 1.5 cents, now where is my change!?!?

Gone!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Renegade

Whatchu smokin? WHy would MS place a competitors program on WIndows? naw, they would bundle it with MSN before AOL

Dunno about compatibility. Its kinda a wait-and-see when it comes to XP
    What am I smoking???? :-) try this on for size

http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/ne...765321,00.html

OK, I know talks fell through but I hadnt read that article at that point.

Originally posted by DHarrison

How come you're in such a hurry to jump on the XP bandwagon? Do you have trouble with your current Windoze installation or do you just like being on the bleeding edge?
    I am just sick of Windows versions that run over DOS and and I was offered a free copy (no not a Dodgy one) so I thought why not.

Originally posted by Shin Ma

I'm running AOL 6 on XP just fine. The program asked me to download a special version of it, specially tuned for XP, though.
    Yeah thanks Shin I contacted them and they are sending me a revised version of 6 thatll work (cos I cant connect to let it update this one )

Gone!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just a little update in case anyone is having the same trouble!

I got my new XP compliant disc and installed it but Guess what? Same problem.

So tried a simple dial up connection and this didnt work so I got a new modem and that has solved the problem.

It doesnt explain how my old modem could dial up through Hyper Terminal but it was probably because it was only a voice call I had success with.