SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I sure you have all noticed the fast change in website desings. I'm not vary old but I'm not an old fart, and I have seen the BIG CHANGE in a short time. Basicly when it all started it was a simple page, just plain old <HTML>
    <head><title></title></head>
    <body>
    then the fun starts, do what you want center this move this to the right, no your other right, put graphics here no there.
    It was easy and look good (sometimes).
    I'm not saying the stuff out now is not easy if you can type HTML in note pad and know what your doing its all easy. But Frames, Tables, forms, scripts, java, DHTML (which I'm learning now), CGI, ect.... where does it stop? I have made so many page in my short time and each time when I start updating it, it turns out I redid the whole thing in whatever is in style at the time. Its a pain in the #$$. I don't know if its a sign of the times or just people in competition with each other?

------------------
    Huggy
    ---------------
    http://home.netinc.ca/~huggy/index.html

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    technology is never going to change. The best thing to do is learn all of them that you can. this will put you in the lead.

the one thing that MUST stop is typing titles and such how you wrote yours WiTh AnNoYiNg TyPe.. just kidding...

-Jason

------------------
    Jason VandeBoom
    webmaster@mconet.com
    http://www.mconet.com

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It gets noticed )
    which gets people to click it... like you!!!
    hehehe...

Thanks vary good point but I don't have time to fill my head with all that crap.
    I already know: HTML, some Java, some javascript, learning DHTML. thats it for webpage programming.... and I think I'm stoping at DHTML till the next big thing.. I guess........

------------------
    Huggy
    ---------------

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I suggest you try learning one of those scripting languages like Coldfusion, ASP or PHP, for example.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What I find the most amazing thing is the sort of "reverse engeneering" that society as a general has done...

Have you stopped to notice how everything these days is made to look like a website? Ads, TV graphics, Magazines etc. They all look like websites did las year

Anyway, I am more of a coder type person and I doubt they will try to imitate a database integration any time soon...

Christian

------------------
    Axie automatically performs free, customizable searches for new
    websites and delivers the links to members by personalized email.
    http://www.axie.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think Perl is the most useful thing to know. I'm looking for a job and everywhere I look I see "Perl knowledge required" (It's a good thing I know it. )

Owen

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Right now I'm in college for Hardware and Networking in my 1st year. On the side a do alot of Internet web 'stuff' one could say.
    So I'm not an expert in any way. But being on the net for years I have noticed all the changes, including the changes in the media. I guess its just the times. I don't like it but what am I going to do. I'm not saying that I dislike change but I can see the day comming where people are going to be comming home (if we even have places to go, still)and sitting on there computer where they watch TV and surf the net order food and talk to people next door. No one going out dating, or spending time with family, its all the net. I think the net is super and all that its just people have to learn that to much of anything is not good!! The net is not doing this, we are.......

------------------
    Huggy
    ---------------

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The web is still an infant as far as the internet goes. Email and telnet have been around since the late 60's. You don't see too much change in their implementation either client or server side because they have become standardized.

The Web has been around for a much shorter time and was far outgrown its original purpose, which was the passing of scientific and research documents among colleagues of different universities and the US military. When it was originally designed it was not meant for mass media. With that said you will find the technologies behind web pages starting to stabilize without too much drastic change with the acceptance of XML, ECMAScript and CSS.

With that in mind the technologies that a web developer should be learning include:
    Client side -
    XML
    XHTML/HTML
    ECMAScript (a form of javascript)
    CSS including levels 1 and 2

Server side -
    ASP
    PHP
    SQL and/or ACCESS

Perl would be a nice language to learn but I don't feel it is necessary because there are thousands of pre-made scripts that you can use on your own sites. That coupled with the fact that both ASP and PHP are better suited towards high-traffic dynamic sites with integrated database connectivity make PERL a second or even third choice as far as languages go.

One other language you might think about learning is vbScript. As this is the primary language used in ASP, you will learn a lot by learning the technologies behind ASP. One good thing about vbScript is that it doesn't take much to go from that to Visual Basic for Applications, which is the scripting language of all the Office Applications, and Visual Basic which allows you to create your own Applications, COM objects and ActiveX applets.

------------------
    Wayne Luke

The Majormud Encyclopedia - www.bloodquest2.com
    Come Play one of the hottest games on the net.