SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unordered lists bhaving differently in IE 5.0/5.5?

I have a vertical menu that used nested unordered lists. It looks fine in every browser except IE 5.0 and 5.5.

Basically each LI item contains a link that is set to display: block, with no margins, a background image and padding set to position the text on the background image. This is also to make the whole "button" area clickable and not just the text.

For some reason in IE 5, the "a" elements seem to be positioned about 10-15px inset from the LI items, even though all LIs have the padding set to 0.

I'm guessing this has *something* to do with the broken box model, but I can't figure it out. None of the LIs or As have a width specified and the padding on the As seems to be correct. It's just that there is some kind of padding on the LIs which pushes the text to the right too far in IE 5.

This site is still in development so I can't really post a link, but maybe someone can point me in the right direction? Are there any known issues with unordered lists behaving differently in IE 5?

In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Could you post the code for the wireframe please? I'd be able to help you better if you did. (And yes, there are some issues with lists and IE5/5.5-Win, Jeffery Zeldman described a workaround in his book Designing with Web Standards; however I have since found other ways, which one I suggest will depend on your code .)