SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

help creating multiple equal cols

This is NOT a normal 3 equal col prob (Well I don't think so anyway).
    I was given the design of a site as an image and asked to create it. The design has 4 vertical cols with the nav in col 2, which has a gradient background. This col is supposed to reach the bottom of all the pages, even the pages that have ASP database content. Any Idea how I can achieve this.
    Site CSS
    I would usually fake the col with a background in a case like this, but I cant see how I could do it with the rest of the layout.

Comment: I wouldn't have done a layout like this in the first place, damb 'visual' designers. The current method 'cheats' the layout using inline styes to enter the hight required, but this doesn't work for pages with DB driven content of unknown length.
    Thanks for any insight.

SitePoint Enthusiast simonpointer's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess in theory, you can use the same bg image faking method, but just need a way of making the colls stretch!!???

As a general method idea, what about containing all 4 columns inside a wrapper div, and use a bg image inside wrapper with transparent or white edges and the bg colour for column 4 in the right location with a repeat-y down the page.

You would have to have fixed width columns but height would stretch., and you will have to do some tinkering about to try to re-establish the curved corners at the bottom of the nav column.

If I have time later I might try to knock something up.....

The CSS Clinic is open silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    179 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Hi,

The Pie layout will do what you want but itr deos have a bug with in-page links.

http://www.positioniseverything.net/...ut/equalheight

Alternatively a background image could make the 4 columns but you will have trouble supplying full length vertical gradients to various columns with the image approach. The pie layout should cater for that ok but read the article thoroughly.