SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SPF Lifer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Changes in Business Environment Post September 11, 2001

Hey there, I am looking to get help with some ideas for a University assignment due Wednesday. I am required to write a paper on new business practices following the catastrophe on September 11, 2001. The most obvious new business practice is that of airline security. Can you think of any others just off the top of your head (something general)?

Thank you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tourist stuff like attractions and trains increace security.

What about the great computer deals that we've been experencing lately. (I just got 256MB Ram for like twenty dolars...woohoo)

Bussinesses are moving to shure up thire money supplies and tighten budgets.

I think alot of people will focus on security in your class, if its a class assignment...

~~Hope This Helps

Whistler BC originally from Guelph Ontario
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Changes in Business Environment Post September 11, 2001

Originally posted by mtgm
    Hey there, I am looking to get help with some ideas for a University assignment due Wednesday. I am required to write a paper on new business practices following the catastrophe on September 11, 2001. The most obvious new business practice is that of airline security. Can you think of any others just off the top of your head (something general)?

Thank you.
    Stick with security. I think you will find in the following years more of a focus will be placed on online security. Especially with microsofts new passport system. There are already quite a few courseloads specific to online security and understanding the 'hacker'.

Hmm I think tourism will be affected (I live in a very popular tourist town). I think you wil find people will be rubber tire toursits. Meaning they won't be flying but more often than not driving or maybe cruises. It is a good thing for local economies but traditional fly spots might run into problems.
    Maelstrom Personal - Apparition Visions
    Development - PhP || Mysql || Zend || Devshed
    Unix - FreeBSD || FreeBsdForums || Man Pages
    They made me a sitepoint Mentor - Feel free to PM me or Email me and I will see if I can help.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    People re-evaluate whats important in life. Someone who was working for my dad quit to become a stainer of glass because of it.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are a lot of effects caused by the Sept. 11 trajedy. Sure, increased security is something we all see and associate with it, but things like the economic downturn are also associated.

A lot of businesses are re-evaluating their spending and investment practices and have put holds on hiring and the such. It isn't really because of the trajedy but rather because of the result of the trajedy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There has been also a lot of talk about cryptography and online privacy, which can affect to online businesses (weaker crypto -> less user trust when giving their credit card number in online transactions -> bad for e-biz).

Here in Spain most of the tourists come by plane (the Balearic and Canary Islands have air travel as their principal means of transport with the Peninsle), so the second half of September was disastrous for that sector...

SPF Lifer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you to everyone who posted, some great ideas are coming forth here.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Several people mentioned security, but there are some other things I can see being a potential result of the 9/11 attack (combined with a down economy):

Reduced air travel and increased use of alternatives such as videoconferencing. Bandwidth is pretty cheap nowadays, and in some cases videoconferencing is as effective as being there, at least for meetings and such. I'm talking about real video conferencing, dedicated equipment, at speeds of 384K or higher over digital connections or WAN's, not 56K dialups with a $10 webcam.

Also, I know a lot more companies are revisiting their disaster recovery and backup plans, with a focus on off-site storage or co-location.
    Dave