SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Built A Website, Need Script Code, Help!!

Hi Everyone, I am new to this site and to these boards. I am hoping that I may get away with some simple help on script writing, I have never done it before, but here is my situation.

I have created a domain and the site and the content, but I now see that it is going to require a script or coding which I am clueless on. The site is basically a "hot or not" type site, though has nothing to do with that. But I do need a script or code that works like that. I am putting up two pictures daily, and each of those 2 pictures has 2 voting options. I need some kind of script that will keep a running tally of those votes on the results page that is clicked thru to.

I will be adding 2 new pictures daily and archiving. The tally can continue to run once archived. Is there a script for something like that? Is it something that I can update the new pages daily myself or automatically? Do I need a control panel for the updates? Anyone who has any suggestions on what I could read, look at or go to to get this information, I would be profoundly thankful. If all else fails, I guess I can run a contest on here to get the code, but am working on the cheap for this fun website for now. Thanx for any help or advice you can give me........

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You need a database, probably mysql, and a programing language, probably php, to record on the server what the vote count is, and to retrieve the data after voting so the user can see what others have chosen.

Javascript is client side scripting, so it can't count up what other voters are doing, only that the current user has voted for something. That vote does not exist anywhere except on the current user's PC if you use javascript.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanx

Thanks very much for that information, as I said, am not sure how or what I was supposed to be doing. Any other suggestions or ideas on places to look at are surely appreciated

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have Realized this is wrong Topic Area, Sorry

Thanx for those who helped me realize that what I needed had to do with PHP and MySQL coding, and not Java Script, I have posted over there for the appropriate help, and have been getting great advice, thanx again, and sorry for the bad post......S