SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am developing a site (for myself) with predominately text enclosed in a table. My problem is that the text renders fine at 800 x 600 on 15" inch monitors and above (on the few I tested) but on a 14" monitor about 15% is lost to the right. I have my table width set to 80% and have tried numerous ways to solve this. Any help would be appreciated. If you want to view the source the site is at http://www.freeandbrave.8m.com. Thanks for your help.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hate to repeat what is being discussed in another area, but not having your site accomadate 640 x 480 is a really bad idea. Check out the postings under- Screen size...chicken or the egg in the Web Page Design Forum

------------------
    IMHO - Steve
    Your opportunity on the web is now!
    www.westmichiganweb.com

jbm
    SitePoint Community Guest
    Steve, I hate to say this, but I see more and more people that are convinced that 600x800 res. is the new standard and anything lower that that is not worth designing for. I don't know where such ideas come from, but I think we are moving in a totally opposite direction: now we have cell phones with Internet access, etc, so screen size and res. is not getting better - but worse. I still try design everything for low-res, tables no more that 600 px wide or variable width.

jbm

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't worry. This may bad advise, but, when I am at a outdated computer lab that has 14" monitors and 640x480 (?) I get used to scrolling a lot, so don't think others in this situation will get a little irritated by it. :-)

But, then again, it may just be me.

Richard

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Rich, I guess you can't make everybody happy.

jbm
    lol, users hate to scroll, and they really appreciate it when they don't have to...

I think in your code you have a couple of things:

1. your center and div tags are not closed properly, make sure thay are closed around the table

2. your table cell widths

3. the <br> and <p> usage in your articles.

I modified your code a little bit, it works now, I am emailing it to you, its way too long to post here. (I took out a few stories, though, it was reeeeaaaally long)

jbm

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would like to re-iterate my post from before.

It is estimated that by 2002 that 75% of all users accessing the Internet will not be using a PC. Many of these users will be using fixed resolution devices that often times max out at far less that 640X480.

You should not design for a resolution because you never know what kind of device your site will be accessed with. You should develop your content and keep your design separate so that it can be modified dynamically to suit your users.

------------------
    Wayne Luke

The Majormud Encyclopedia - www.bloodquest2.com
    Come Play one of the hottest games on the net.

Kat's Meow Senior ******* WebKat's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you all that have posted on these forums supporting 640x480 resolutions...And realizing that you need to design for us as well as the larger screens

There is still a large market using this size and a much larger one in the future that will need this size for the smaller visual technlogy of cell phones and hand held devices...

When I have to keep scrolling I will eventually leave your site - Not exactly what you want your visitors to do!

And I'm not in the market any time soon to upgrade my monitor...I'm spending enough on software and upgrades as it is

------------------
    PPSV's WebKat
    Professional Photographers of Sacramento Valley

Skills to Pay the Bills Sparkie's Avatar
    A cave with 47 computers and an internet feed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with WebKat on the monitor resolution. I keep mine set at 640x480 and am very stubborn to change it!

A good rule I once heard somewhere is to design your site on a 640x480 resolution, but make sure that it still looks good on 800x600 - that way you're accomodating most of the internet population.

jbm
    another point to make: just from my personal experience whatever looks good on low res will look good on high res, because in general people with 1200x1600 (like myself) dont keep the browser window maximized, that gets rid of some of that 'white space'. of course, you can't really rely on that, its just my observation....

jbm

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks to you all for your valuable insight and a special thanks to jbm for her comments and code.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Look at this: http://www.thecounter.com/stats/2000/January/res.html

only 11-13% are using 640-480. 56% are using 800-600.

then look at a year ago http://www.thecounter.com/stats/1999/January/res.html and notice that not altogether many more people are using 640-480. (almost exactly the same for 800-600.)

Owen

------------------
    uDiscuss.com - the most advanced forums on the Internet!