User Tag List

Skills to Pay the Bills Sparkie's Avatar
    A cave with 47 computers and an internet feed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Display on Windows 2000 startup

A friend of mine was using my computer the other day, and tried saving something as wallpaper, but it didnt work. Unfortunately what he did was make it so that whenever Windows shuts down or starts up, you can see the picture ..but then the normal wallpaper shows up. How can I get rid of that picture on startup/shutdown?

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It might be the splash screen image for Win 2000 that's been changed. I'm not sure what/where it is on Win 2000 but on NT it's in C:\winnt\winnt.bmp (or whatever dir. NT was installed in).

On NT there's 2 image files, winnt.bmp and winnt256.bmp, with winnt.bmp being the low res one. Have a search of your system and open the bmp files to see if they're the offending image. You'll just need to swap them for the original splash image or use your own. Deleting the files may also be an option but I've never tried it.

Making a better wheel silver trophy DR_LaRRY_PEpPeR's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    no, the friend didn't change anything that drastic.

here's what's going on. i'll bet your current wallpaper is a JPEG and not a bitmap -- which requires that Active Desktop be turned on. when your friend tried to set the wallpaper (from IE i assume?), it worked, and IE saves it as a bitmap. but, you see, when Active Desktop is on, it doesn't replace any existing wallpaper, but merely layers its stuff on top of it. when you shutdown, Active Desktop turns off, and you see the bitmap paper behind it. same thing on startup -- you see it before AD turns on.

how to fix it: right click desktop > Active Desktop > uncheck "Show Web Content". you'll see friend's wallpaper. remove it or whatever, then recheck "Show Web Content" and yours will be back.
    - Matt ** Ignore old signature for now... **
    Dr.BB - Highly optimized to be 2-3x faster than the "Big 3."
    "Do not enclose numeric values in quotes -- that is very non-standard and will only work on MySQL." - MattR

Skills to Pay the Bills Sparkie's Avatar
    A cave with 47 computers and an internet feed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OooOooOohk I'll try that