SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

The Mind's I ® silver trophy Dark Tranquility's Avatar
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

MOG.com Or what RoR can achieve

Many people are still asking about Ruby and Ruby on Rails etc... well here's a nice story:
    www.mog.com is a beta app that you can use to share your musical tastes with others in the social networking style! but what is important here is that
    MOG.com software was totally written in Ruby on Rails! it serves up to 1.5M resuests a day!

Nice!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yeah, it looks like a pretty good demonstration of what Mongrel can do

The Mind's I ® silver trophy Dark Tranquility's Avatar
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vgarcia
    Yeah, it looks like a pretty good demonstration of what Mongrel can do

...and thanks to your link I checked the site and saw that Mongrel 0.3.132 is out
    didn't check since version 0.3.12

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm creating a pretty unique app for RoR...I don't think it will have 1.5M requests a day though. More like 5-6....requests.

I think I'm going to use Mongrel for it as well. Just started using it for development and currrently I'm using lighty for production with Apache as a proxy.

My biggest concern for my app is routing. I think I'm having some issues with the routing mechanism. I get a lot of errors randomly that go away with a refresh and they mostly seem to be in the routing.

Anyway....its good to see RoR geing used on more and more sites with large volumes of traffic. Personally I think the future is bright. I really find that the workflow of Rails and the power of Ruby is extremely nice. The other day I went back to do some maintenance on a php app for work and I really, really found myself struggling with the debugging. Rails makes it so easy with so many possbible tools like Unit tests built in and the console and the breakpointer that it's far easier for me right now to fix RoR problems than PHP ones.
    Erh

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At first, all the talk about Ruby & Ruby on Rails being slow worried me. However, the new backend that I coded in RoR for a pretty big site went live about a month ago. The site gets about a million requests / day (peaking out at 50 requests / second). The site is run on only one Pentium 2.8 server but I manage to keep the CPU on the server at most around 50-60%.

Really, it's the quality of the coding that matters far more than the speed / efficiency of the framework.
    Ohai!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just have a question about mog.com i don't really understand what it use (ruby on rails, mongrel) can someone explain this to me and what is it. Im going to create a simular site (mog.com) so would be good to know