SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Angry Norton,popups & the decreasing usability of Javascript..

Okay - for me, javascript is a great add-on to many websites & i've been using it since college. For any website viewers using norton internet security, it's worthless.

How Symantec have managed to continue selling something that is consistantly blocking commonly used (& very useful) scripting technologies without being sued?... i'll never know.

Problem is, anyone viewing a js-enhanced site ends up seeing a blank page, because the code is intercepted and replaced before it gets chance to be displayed. Neat huh? Now, surely there has to be a way to conquer their ridiculous 1-size-fits-all approach to js blocking?

HELP! I NEED IT!

I've searched high and low to find a web forum that is a)not drenched in google ads and b)not populated by teenagers who write sites about their favourite cat/dog/band. Is this the one that will put an end to it all?

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy C. Ankerstjerne's Avatar
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you have a link to your site?
    - alternately -
    Which functions are you trying to use?
    Christian Ankerstjerne
    <p<strong<abbr/HTML/ 4 teh win</>
    <>In Soviet Russia, website codes you!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    there are too many to list them all - have a look at this one - www.yourbrickmatch.com -it utilised the popup function to open specific sized windows

surely theres a method that avoids any type of javascript?

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy C. Ankerstjerne's Avatar
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I couldn't see any Javascript pop-ups on that page (or did you already replace them?).

Ignoring the accessibility aspect, what's wrong with opening the windows you currently open as TARGET="_BLANK" in the IFRAME?
    Christian Ankerstjerne
    <p<strong<abbr/HTML/ 4 teh win</>
    <>In Soviet Russia, website codes you!

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by smithit
    Okay - for me, javascript is a great add-on to many websites & i've been using it since college. For any website viewers using norton internet security, it's worthless.

How Symantec have managed to continue selling something that is consistantly blocking commonly used (& very useful) scripting technologies without being sued?... i'll never know.

Problem is, anyone viewing a js-enhanced site ends up seeing a blank page, because the code is intercepted and replaced before it gets chance to be displayed. Neat huh? Now, surely there has to be a way to conquer their ridiculous 1-size-fits-all approach to js blocking?
    Can someone confirm if this is really true?

Norton Internet Security is one of the most widely-used internet security packages on the market, and javascript is also very widely used. Major features in Google, and other popular websites, for instance, are AJAX based.

So if this were really true I would have thought we'd hearing millions of people all over the world squealing like stuck pigs! I Googled this and I didn't see any big pattern of problems.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    try searching for 'norton javascript symevent' and you might find more

i've upped a page that i used in another site that was blocked by NIS here so you can test it... perhaps norton have issued updates since that have rectified it & only a limited number of users (who don't update) may get the problem?

http://www.smithit.net/resources/testnorton.htm

be interesting to see who can and can't see it.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not true.

norton internet security came with my new pc and I can view the above "problem site" with no problems, it looks the same on the new one as on this, my old (very old!) PC. Same is true of other sites using javascript (the site mentioned doesn't seem to use js!)

CSS & JS/DOM Adept bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    smithit, what version of norton internet security are you using?

Perhaps its popup blocker is more zealous that the average one.

I suggest you read these:
    The Importance of Degrading Gracefully
    Perpetuating the myths of JavaScript degradation.
    Beware of opening links in a new window
    We miss you, Dan Schulz.
    Learn CSS. | X/HTML Validator | CSS validator
    Dynamic Site Solutions
    Code for Firefox, Chrome, Safari, & Opera, then add fixes for IE, not vice versa.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it seems that it's version 2005 (according to my clients) that seems to load just a blank page when visiting www.kitchen-range.co.uk (and following a link to traditional kitchens for example) or www.yourbrickmatch.com (and clicking on the 'new build' icon)

perhaps they've clocked onto it and watered it down in future releases?