SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

difference b/w title, description, and keywords

I'm about to submit my site to a directory submission service. It asks for title, description, and keywords.

I know what keywords and description are. But what is title and how is that different from the other 2?

He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The title is the title of your website.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stymiee
    The title is the title of your website.
    to clarify; I searched for "ohio web design" and this is what shows up on the SERPS; http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...gn&btnG=Search

so the first site's title would be, "Ohio Web Design Services - Web Site Design Firms"? thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That would be the title of the website - as in what was placed within the [title][/title] tags in the header of the page and what is displayed in the title bar of the browser window.

If you need a title for directory submissions though it doesn't necessarily have to be the same thing. In that context they're just asking you what to call the site; you could write "Ohio Web Design Services", "Design Services Finder", "MarketingTool.com" or whatever else you would like it submitted under.

Go look at a few directories and you will see the differences. Some use the title as the anchor text, add the description next to it and use the keywords for search, others use the domain name as anchor text and display the title and descriptions separately.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OIC- yes, this makes perfect sense now as I recall these factors when browsing 2nd tier directories. ty

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy Kailash Badu's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Title would be very short description of your website. an abridged description you can say. Titles would be hyperlinked in those directories.