SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So i've updated my site...

OK, I am really new at this whole thing...Currently, my only traffic to my site comes from the occasional ebay member, and google sponsored search. I am looking into how to get top ranking in Google when someone types in "stink bombs"

anyways, when I type in my domain name (stinksnthings) my website does come up. So to me, I THINK, I am indexed with google, kinda. When someone types in stink bombs though, I don't come up. What can I do to get my site indexed?

Also, my website is very different from when I first submitted it to google. When a site changes like that, does google automatically run its googlebot through my site again? Or do I have to resubmit?

He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If you come up then you are indexed. Google then comes back to recrawl your pages and index new ones. How often it will do that varies by site with higher PR pages crawled more frequently then lower PR pages.

And to rank well for any term you need to optimize your pages for it and acquire incoming links from relevant pages with that keyphrase as your anchor text. See these threads for more info on that:

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How do I add my link to other companies to get a higher PR? I think my PR is 0 now, eh. Any ideas? (I sell retail novelties such as stink bombs, fart spray and other gag gifts)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stinksnthings
    How do I add my link to other companies to get a higher PR? I think my PR is 0 now, eh. Any ideas? (I sell retail novelties such as stink bombs, fart spray and other gag gifts)
    Get more incoming links. Submit to directories to start.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are directories "link farms" though? I know google doesn't like those.

What are some examples for directories? Sorry about the noob questions

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Directories are not link farms. Read the Search Engine Optimization FAQ to read the definition of link farms and to see an example of directories.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it helps to make a sitemap and to submit it too google. That way you can see what keywords are being searched on and you get some more information that can be really usefull.

Also I think you need to add more text with your keywords to your site. (stymiee correct me if I'm wrong lol)

Galactic Overlord gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    987 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Choller
    Also I think you need to add more text with your keywords to your site. (stymiee correct me if I'm wrong lol)
    Not quite sure what you mean here (and obviously I'm not Stymiee) but if you are referring to meta tag keywords then no, they aren't that relevant.

If you are talking about on-page keywords then yes, the more relevant keywords you have (especially in H tags) the better - provided they read well.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HAWK
    Not quite sure what you mean here (and obviously I'm not Stymiee) but if you are referring to meta tag keywords then no, they aren't that relevant.

If you are talking about on-page keywords then yes, the more relevant keywords you have (especially in H tags) the better - provided they read well.
    Yes i'm referring to on-page keywords.