User Tag List

Prolific Blogger silver trophy Technosailor's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ahhh! Lost my sound to a freakin modem!

The hardware geek needs some help here.

I picked up a hardware PCI modem at the computer show so I can try to run Linux as well as Windows. All was good. The Windows 2000 driver for the modem (an Ambient HaL (Intel) 56k (Model #MD563X) worked fine until I went to the Intel website and downloaded the updated XP driver. no problem. Once the modem was installed, it proceeded to install its own audio devices. I guess it's a built in sound card too as it has 2 8mm jacks next to the RJ-11 jacks.

My problem is that I have been running through the motherboards onboard AC-97 sound device since installing XP. Some of you might rememebr me telling about my audio card conflicting with the onboard audio despite the fact that the onboard audio was disabled in the BIOS. I had pulled out the soundcard and enabled the onboard audio and it has been working fine. Until today. When the modem's sound devices installed, it seems to ave erased the onboard sound drivers and to make matters worse, even though Windows reports no problems with the modem's sound devices, they don't work for sound either.

Can anyone help me with this? I tried deleting all the audio devices to try to get Windows to plug n play and try to prevent the reinstalling of modem sound drivers, to no avail.

Crucial info:
    Motherboards chipset : VIA Apollo KT133A
    Onboard audio: AC-97 codec
    Modem: Ambient HaL (Intel) 56k (Model #MD563X)

And here's a screenshot of my device manager:

Thanks in advance for the help.
    Sketch
    Aaron Brazell
    Technosailor

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    problem solved! I just love being a tech!

After an evening of frustration I yanked the new modem out and put the old one back in hoping that my sound would come back. Sure enough it did. So I decided to push my luck a bit farther and took that one back out and reinstalled the new modem in a different PCI slot. Booted XP and bam! sound was all there. So I guess there was a DMA conflict with PCI slots.

Sketch
    Aaron Brazell
    Technosailor

Whistler BC originally from Guelph Ontario
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Sketch
    problem solved! I just love being a tech!

After an evening of frustration I yanked the new modem out and put the old one back in hoping that my sound would come back. Sure enough it did. So I decided to push my luck a bit farther and took that one back out and reinstalled the new modem in a different PCI slot. Booted XP and bam! sound was all there. So I guess there was a DMA conflict with PCI slots.

Sketch
    ...Isn't it great the way that happens...
    Maelstrom Personal - Apparition Visions
    Development - PhP || Mysql || Zend || Devshed
    Unix - FreeBSD || FreeBsdForums || Man Pages
    They made me a sitepoint Mentor - Feel free to PM me or Email me and I will see if I can help.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well, you know....I wish it didn't happen period, but I do love how problems get solved so beautifully.
    sketch
    Aaron Brazell
    Technosailor