SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Brevity is greatly overrated brandaggio's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Inconsistent iWeb Redirection Behavior

So I decided to tinker with iWeb a bit - see what I might be able to put together for a client project I am working on and hopefully help make my life a little easier (one can dream ).

The code is bloated and less then perfect but it is really not that bad - the pages look pretty nice. The images need to be optimized yet (iWeb does not natively compress images on export, something I hope Apple adds in the near future).

However for some reason my Mac Opera and Safari redirect to the proper internal homepage (just the way iWeb exports files and sets up the folder structure), but "my" (maybe it is just my install) Firefox 1.5 on my PowerPC Mac Mini does not redirect to the proper homepage - no error - just a blank page and no page loading.

Anyone have any ideas? I have just begun to play with iWeb so I am pretty much flying blind.

The site is here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seriously now?! Does anyone not reach http://endurospices.com/Enduro/Our%20Story.html when going to the URL http://endurospices.com?

For some reason (perhaps some extension or other software I have installed on both my PowerPC Macs that make it so Firefox 1.5 does not redirect to the "proper/real" nested homepage (on both machines Safari and Opera "find" the nested page with no problem)?

The directory structure and setup is iWeb's - not the way I would do it ideally but I am trying to work with and understand its quirks. So far the pros seem to outweigh the cons by quite a bit.

And hell, I can't wait to throwdown a podcast or two and check out GarageBand 3's new features.

(And yes I know the images need to be compressed - I will do it in a batch process once the stakeholder approves the finals - sorry for the slow download in the meantime.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What are you talking about?

first, I wouldn't use capitals but definitely no spaces, as the %20 indicates. If you somehow can get rid of that, than great if not it's not such a good piece of software.

Then, the html code is terrible, it seems to put almost all into divs, a few of those even have a class called paragraph, why didn't they use a paragraph from the beginning? Lots of inline styles and more bad coding...

Am I missing anything here?
    Dan G
    Marketing Strategist & Consultant

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    your site pulls up fine for me in FF 1.5.0.4

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by c2uk
    What are you talking about?

first, I wouldn't use capitals but definitely no spaces, as the %20 indicates. If you somehow can get rid of that, than great if not it's not such a good piece of software.

Then, the html code is terrible, it seems to put almost all into divs, a few of those even have a class called paragraph, why didn't they use a paragraph from the beginning? Lots of inline styles and more bad coding...

Am I missing anything here?
    I am a near expert hand coder (with live, commerical sites to prove it) and generally use just a text editor - TextWrangler actually - I am just playing with iWeb as just got iLife '06 (really digging the new "Aperturesque" iPhoto update - highly recommended). The code iWeb creates validates, but is far from lean. I was not asking you to critique code I did not generate (nor am I unaware of the %20 in the URL) so yes you are missing something - answering my thread starting question. Read it carefully, I didn't ask for anyone to beyotch about HTML generated by software - iWeb's is horrendous but valid, there is no question about that (where other tools like FrontPage also produce more or less "crappy" code at least with iWeb your site looks gorgeous and not like a 4th graders class project like most MS themes).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cmuench
    your site pulls up fine for me in FF 1.5.0.4
    Thanks - it should - so hopefully no else sees what I see.

Some quirk on my end is impeding FF ability to do that on just these 2 boxes - it is fine on other Powermacs just like mine and also "redirects" as it did for you.

I can live with knowing that I am just about the only unlucky one this is happening to and that the site functions as it should for most.

Thanks for taking a peek.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No problem.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wozbk
    I am a near expert hand coder (with live, commerical sites to prove it) and generally use just a text editor - TextWrangler actually - I am just playing with iWeb as just got iLife '06 (really digging the new "Aperturesque" iPhoto update - highly recommended). The code iWeb creates validates, but is far from lean. I was not asking you to critique code I did not generate (nor am I unaware of the %20 in the URL) so yes you are missing something - answering my thread starting question. Read it carefully, I didn't ask for anyone to beyotch about HTML generated by software - iWeb's is horrendous but valid, there is no question about that (where other tools like FrontPage also produce more or less "crappy" code at least with iWeb your site looks gorgeous and not like a 4th graders class project like most MS themes).
    That's why I asked what are you talking about, because you included so many other things in your comment and did not purely ask just the one simple question:

"Why doesn't it get redirected in this browser that I'm using, any ideas?" (Your first question)

I provided you with a few ideas as to why this might happen, the %20 which replaces a common space might be the problem. Additionally, you might want to provide us with the exact redirection code that iWeb produces.

Edit: Your second question was more like: "Do you experience the same problems with Firefox as I do?"

No.

/edit

Here are two quotes from your posts to which I particularly replied:

The code is bloated and less then perfect but it is really not that bad
    So far the pros seem to outweigh the cons by quite a bit.
    From what I can see, this software is producing terribly code, it might validate but it is absolutely unaccessible since it doesn't convey any semantical meaning, furthermore this page is as bad as it gets in terms of SEO, no headings and I would guess <strong> would just simply get a <span class="bold">.

The code is not only less perfect as you admitted, but it is really terrible so "not bad" is an understatement.

So far I'm only seeing the cons, what are the pros that outweight this absolute mess?

If you didn't want to get an opinion on all of this, why include it in your post? Your actual answer was just 2 short sentences long, while you wrote a big whole review on iWeb.
    Last edited by c2uk; Jun 25, 2006 at 00:31.
    Dan G
    Marketing Strategist & Consultant